Suggestions for a Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
Newbie in this this forum but regular in others at Hearth.
I'm considering a pellet stove in our basement and would like some thoughts on models or factors I'm not considering. We heat with a Jotul Oslo on our first floor but its not keeping up given the cold.
I'm currently insulating and finishing out our basement and was thinking of going pellet instead of cordwood down there. We have a gigantic Jotul there now which I'm sure will overheat the basement now that we've air sealed and insulated all the walls with foam and fiberglass. The big Jotul is not now hooked up because of remodeling.

My thoughts on what we would want:
  • Quiet - we're not used to a fan running and probably wouldn't like the noise much.
  • Small to mid sized as far as heat output
  • Euro style preferred but not a hard requirement. (the more upright, more glass, showy type)
  • Outside air (O.A.K.) connection (absolutely a requirement)
  • Decent sized hopper
  • Thermostatic control via auger speed (assuming that's how its done)
  • Edit: clean burning
  • Edit: not Chinese-made
Thanks in advance for you input.

Edit: I wasn't clear about usage. We'd use this stove as a supplement to the Jotul Oslo wood stove we have in the great room upstairs. The pellet stove would be used to heat the basement and add some heat upstairs.

Last edited:
Newbie in this this forum but regular in others at Hearth.
I'm considering a pellet stove in our basement and would like some thoughts on models or factors I'm not considering. We heat with a Jotul Oslo on our first floor but its not keeping up given the cold.
I'm currently insulating and finishing out our basement and was thinking of going pellet instead of cordwood down there. We have a gigantic Jotul there now which I'm sure will overheat the basement now that we've air sealed and insulated all the walls with foam and fiberglass. The big Jotul is not now hooked up because of remodeling.

My thoughts on what we would want:
  • Quiet - we're not used to a fan running and probably wouldn't like the noise much.
  • Small to mid sized as far as heat output
  • Euro style preferred but not a hard requirement. (the more upright, more glass, showy type)
  • Outside air (O.A.K.) connection (absolutely a requirement)
  • Decent sized hopper
  • Thermostatic control via auger speed (assuming that's how its done)
Thanks in advance for you input.
I'm biased by the stove I own, but I was going to say a Piazzetta Monia, a 37k btu stove, but you want a decent sized hopper, so I'd opt for the model I have the Piazzetta Sabrina, a 47k btu stove. I know there are others that will meet your needs, Ecotecks, MCZ, Wittus, Palazetti
  • Quiet - others tell me it's quieter than they are used to from pellet stoves, but I have no basis for comparison
  • Small to mid sized as far as heat output - Monia is 37k, Sabrina is 47k
  • Euro style preferred but not a hard requirement. (the more upright, more glass, showy type) - yep, that's the Piazzetta
  • Outside air (O.A.K.) connection (absolutely a requirement) - yep, you can connect one
  • Decent sized hopper - Monia only 35 lbs, the Sabrina 66 lbs.
  • Thermostatic control via auger speed (assuming that's how its done) - has a thermostat, you can also wire an external one; when it hits the set temp, it reverts to its lowest feed setting, until the swing drops 2 degrees then it goes back to the feed rate you originally set.

Reactions: semipro
A clarification question semi pro - are you planning on using the pellet stove to heat your basement when you're down there, or to assist with heating the upstairs? There are many posts on this forum of folks mistakenly trying to use their pellet stove more like a furnace than as the space heater it is designed to be - ie a pellet stove in your basement will heat up your basement, but is difficult to get that heat upstairs to do much central house heating. Unless of course you're talking about the pellet furnace / boiler system that many people are going with to replace their traditional fossil fuel furnaces.

Reactions: semipro
A clarification question semi pro - are you planning on using the pellet stove to heat your basement when you're down there, or to assist with heating the upstairs? There are many posts on this forum of folks mistakenly trying to use their pellet stove more like a furnace than as the space heater it is designed to be - ie a pellet stove in your basement will heat up your basement, but is difficult to get that heat upstairs to do much central house heating. Unless of course you're talking about the pellet furnace / boiler system that many people are going with to replace their traditional fossil fuel furnaces.
Both when we're down there and as supplemental heat for the Oslo upstairs. The basement will be living space. We have a way to move the heat from the basement to the first floor via central duct work. We did that when we ran the big Jotul down there.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Content deleted by OP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.