Suggestions, please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbkea

Sep 8, 2014
va
Hi, I currently live in a small old farmhouse. It's single story, and only about 1000 square feet. We currently use a free standing propane unit. It has a chimney and does a decent job. It's located in the center of the house. However, the price of propane is forcing me to choose other options. We are considering pellet/corn stoves. Preferably we would like to burn corn,as we have that readily available to us.

Suggestions?

Also, the one thing I love about propane is that if we were to lose power, we still have heat. Is this an option with these stoves?

Also, the one thing I love about propane is that if we were to lose power, we still have heat. Is this an option with these stoves?
Nope. Needs electric to run the stove. You could get a generator for those cases which leads to a bunch of other issues. Use the propane as a back up stove when the power goes out.

Power is needed for most stoves to continue operation. Even more so if trying to burn corn. UPS with generator backup is a option. UPS can run the running stove for short period of time an conditions power too. I have a freestanding propain stove and is used primarily for ambiance and if the power should go out more than half hour. Things get really cold here so a non electric backup is almost mandatory. The Quadrafire Mt.Vernon AE can run on battery, nice expensive stove that can eat corn. I have three corn burning stoves.4 if you count the Countryside I keep for a backup for my mother. Only one is currently in business:( Corn hitting over $7 shriveled up corn stove sales. The Harman PC45 does a fair job of burning corn straight, but a blend of half corn and pellets eliminates the reflector plate and stirrer.

Status
Not open for further replies.