Summit and liner installed today, have a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillyrat

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2007
Central Indiana
New Summit and 20' of liner installed today. Temp is 75 degrees today so I will have to wait for some cooler temps to break it in. Any suggestions for what outside temps are needed to do the break in's? I also discovered that a majority of my wood is too long to fit in the stove. Half of it is 20" and sits on the lip inside the stove and close to the glass. Is it OK to prop the wood up on the lip inside the stove? Thanks.

Not a great idea to prop the wood up on the lip. You will see a dark ring growing on glass for sure, not to mention possibly damaging the glass. If a piece is just too long and you shut the door quickly you may bust out the glass. I have some pieces that are a little long, I just load them east-west or on the diagonal. What for a cool day to start he stove. Your call really on temps, much harder to get a draft going in warm weather though. Good luck and pics?

Fire it up and open your windows while you can, it will also help with the paint curing smell.

Congratulations! You are going to like that stove. It's a sweet heater. Sorry about the wood, but no worries. The stove burns well when loaded E/W. Not ideal, but it will get you through the winter. If the log isn't too long, load it on the diagonal. Looks like a cool front is coming through your area tomorrow. Try a small fire tonight and a hot one tomorrow night with some nearby windows open.

For what is worth ... I try to load mine on the boost manifold (what I think you are referring to as "the lip"), I think it helps the wood burn a bit better with some "air" under the splits. if your 20" wood is consistently cut, and you can test it and get it in now, i wouldn't worry unless you have odd pieces > 20+ inches. Then you will have to diagonal or E/W as begreen suggested.

Wait for a good 50 deg day before you try to fire her up. You are going to need to open the windows in the house to let the paint fumes out. Anything much warmer than that, you may have draft issues.

Good luck with your stove.
I had a lot of wood that was a wee bit too long last year so I cut an inch off with my chop saw, threw the nubs into a pail and burned them. Trying to angle them into my stove cut down on how much I could fit inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.