Summit first burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dean66

Oct 13, 2019
West Virginia
I finally got everything settled with pacific Energy and built my first fire in my new summit. I didn’t really think it drafted that well but I didn’t realize I was supposed to remove the cover on back of pedestal for room air so maybe my next fire will be better. I had very dry wood so I know that wasn’t the problem the stove just didn’t seem to get enough air even wide open. I’ll build another fireLater tonight when I get home . Is it really necessary to build 3 fires to break it in ?

I don't remember building 3 break-in fires, but there is some moisture in the bricks that may be better if you dry them out slowly. I don't think it matters for the steel. I'm in my 4th season with the summit, and I don't have any complaints. My stack is 30+ feet though, so I have a harder time shutting it down in time. The chimney is probably more critical than the stove when it comes to the draft. Like you said, uncovering the air intake may solve things for you. At any rate, I hope you enjoy the stove, as I have.

Dean66, your initial post on the Summit were quite negative. Can you fill us in on how PE turned things around?

I think the stove itself is well made I inspected it thoroughly and couldn’t find anything wrong with it. Pe shipped me a new stove door from there factory overnight and a new ash pan and they are supposed to be shipping me an extra baffle a new door gasket kit and a new package of fire bricks and they’re going to make things right where I had to heat with electric for 3 weeks.

Here’s a pic of fire I built tonight after I removed the room air cover it burned a lot better.

Attachments

• DA22C61C-8F35-48E5-8D91-C914981E1BB5.jpeg
    DA22C61C-8F35-48E5-8D91-C914981E1BB5.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: Highbeam
You will love the stove. I'm on 14' of liner and it breathes very easy. No issues. Seasoned wood is key.

Glad PE was able to resolve everything to your satisfaction. Congratulations on the new stove.

The stove is performing very well puts out a lot of heat even on low and seems to have great burn times.
I think I can get 10 or 12 hours will find out tonight.

How is everything going with your Summit? Do you like it? How about burn times? Did PE make everything right with you? How was your dealer in all this?

The stove is performing very well puts out a lot of heat even on low and seems to have great burn times.
I think I can get 10 or 12 hours will find out tonight.
Thanks for the update. I think you will be a happy camper now. It's a good heater.

Could you post a closing comment in your original thread that summarizes these results?

Very good. I will close that thread. Keep us posted on the Summit over the winter and consider adding a probe thermometer to the stovepipe. It's a better guide than the stove top temp.

I easily get 10-12 burn times with my Summit. Granted that's not throwing much if any heat, but plenty of coals for a restart.

Does the glass in your summit get dirty really fast ? I also hear a few odd noises in my stove I figured it was the Ebt valve but not sure.

Does the glass in your summit get dirty really fast ? I also hear a few odd noises in my stove I figured it was the Ebt valve but not sure.
If burning right the glass shouldn't get dirty at all.

The EBT will make a tick tick sound occasionally as it opens and closes.

Are there any adjustments to the EBT or primary air, I set the damper on high after reloading and went back to shut it down and it had moved at least 1/2 “ by itself

Are there any adjustments to the EBT or primary air, I set the damper on high after reloading and went back to shut it down and it had moved at least 1/2 “ by itself
No adjustment to the EBT. By damper, do you mean the air control. That is a friction fit. Odd that it would move on it's own. Is it exceptionally loose and sloppy or does it present some resistance when changing the setting?

Yes the air control and it’s really easy to move no resistance at all really. It has 3 marked settings , start , high and low. Start and high are the same unless mines not moving right.

Ok, the fix is easy. Remove the ash pan. Take a flashlight and peek under there, following the air control lever back to its pivot point. There is a spring-loaded screw at the pivot point. Give it a turn tighter to increase the tension. I think you can do this by hand.

IMG_0199.jpg

Thanks , I’ll do that. I wish there was a way to keep the glass cleaner but I’m probably causing it by running it on low at night and when I’m not home.

If you turn stoves down to minimum for the long burn you will get dirty glass. If you let it rip on reload a bit longer it will clean itself for the most part. The longer your wood seasons the less the glass will brown up as well.

Might be the wood. Our glass stays quite clean and I usually have it on low during milder weather which can be a large portion of our winter. We have good draft, but just about 20' of flue.