Sunday Morning Burn-Along

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first thought was that it seems like an awful lot of wood for this time of the year. Also starting a cold stove I never stock it to the top but usually 3 or 4 splits maximum.

Second thought is that a 3 hour burn is not much for that amount of wood.

Keep practicing and you'll get much better. Thanks for posting.

Backwoods Savage said:
My first thought was that it seems like an awful lot of wood for this time of the year. Also starting a cold stove I never stock it to the top but usually 3 or 4 splits maximum.

Second thought is that a 3 hour burn is not much for that amount of wood.

Keep practicing and you'll get much better. Thanks for posting.

Dead center of the state of Missouri is currently 36 with light snow with the high of the day of 40. Seems cold enough for a full load to me.

Perhaps you and your place are much different. We do not call that cold at all. We went 2 days without a stove fire with high temperature between 40-45 and nights in high 20's. No full load here yet and we live in Michigan. Nope Browining, it doesn't seem cold enough for me.

Backwoods Savage said:
Perhaps you and your place are much different. We do not call that cold at all. We went 2 days without a stove fire with high temperature between 40-45 and nights in high 20's. No full load here yet and we live in Michigan. Nope Browining, it doesn't seem cold enough for me.

Well, aren't you and your insulation something :lol:

My 24" stone walls would have a surface temperature in the mid 50s with that type of weather.

The coldest I have ever been in my life was one night in St. Louis. And I have been cold in a lot of places. Not only does it get cold there, they have wind along with it that will calibrate your coldness factor big time.

Something is keeping that place warm Dennis if you like it to be 80 in the house.

As to his loading technique, nothing wrong with it when you have a cold stove and a cold house. The stove is not packed if you look at the space between the splits in that 1.8 cf firebox and after three hours he is ready to chuck a few on a good coal bed and cruise for five or six hours. I do it all the time when I want the joint warmed up and to let it die and live off the residual heat until time to restart for the night. Warms the whole mass of the fireplace and it gives it back for hours and hours.

I like it better than "turning on the cat".

Cool (or should I say) Warm pictures.
Nice thing about a big fire that over heats the house is you can open doors & windows & move away from the stove
Nice thing about a big fire that only gets the house to 60° is you can put on a sweater & stand close to the stove.
Great thing is, the warmth of the fire is always appreciated :)

I don't know BW, you sound like a bit of an outlier. 45 days and 20 nights is cold enough for me to fire up. Must have polar bear blood in those veins. :lol:

jatoxico said:
I don't know BW, you sound like a bit of an outlier. 45 days and 20 nights is cold enough for me to fire up. Must have polar bear blood in those veins. :lol:

Yeah, I don't have three stoves in the house to see how long I can hold out before I start a fire.

jatoxico said:

:lol: My wife is the one with polar bear blood. I had to laugh when she took me to the deer blind. I was bundled up to fight off the cold. She stepped out on the porch and said, "Wow. It's cold out here. I'd best put more clothes on." So, she put on an extra shirt. Still had only her short on the bottom and those bare legs did fine. We have a long driveway and when she goes to get mail all winter long she wears very little outside. Of course, I heat it up in the house to cause the removal of more clothing....

SlyFerret said:
What is the weather like for you today? We are a grey and misty 60 degrees here in central Ohio.

I probably have only lit the stove 6-8 times yet this year. I'm ready for some winter weather so I can keep the stove going and get into a pattern.

-SF

It was in the upper 30s most of the day. 37 right now with some heavy fog. Even though it's early in the year, we've had the stove burning quite a bit. I have the combination of an old drafty house with no insulation in the walls and a wife who likes to be warm...so if it's below 60 we usually have a small fire. Most of the time it's just a small one in the morning to take the chill out and then another in the evening.

WoodpileOCD said:
Great post, thanks for taking the time to do it. Have you ever had a surround on your install. I have one now and am thinking about taking it down when I put my liner in (very soon now). I will add a block off plate and hopefully free all of that heat behind the surround to do it's thing in my house rather than in my chimney. Just wondering how you liked the install without the surround.

I really like it. This is an old heatform fireplace. I had to do some extensive cutting to get the insert to fit, but there is still some thick steel behind the stove. I really think it helps to keep the stove warmer and reflect heat back into the house. Plus I think it looks pretty good without the surround.

Backwoods Savage said:
jatoxico said:

:lol: My wife is the one with polar bear blood. I had to laugh when she took me to the deer blind. I was bundled up to fight off the cold. She stepped out on the porch and said, "Wow. It's cold out here. I'd best put more clothes on." So, she put on an extra shirt. Still had only her short on the bottom and those bare legs did fine. We have a long driveway and when she goes to get mail all winter long she wears very little outside. Of course, I heat it up in the house to cause the removal of more clothing....

LOL no wonder you bought the Progress Hybrid you filthy animal! ;-)

:lol:

Ray

raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:
jatoxico said:

Ray

If he isn't burning the Fireview when the temps are in the 40s and 20s, what's he gonna do, burn the PH twice a winter? :p

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics. I do think my burn times are a little short, but the quality of wood I'm burning right now is not very good. I've got a cord and a half of very well seasoned red oak for use when it gets much colder. I'm hoping that I can extend the times when I start using that.

I wish I had the insulation in my house that some of you guys have. My house was built in the 40s and literally has ZERO insulation in the walls...not even news paper. When we bought it, there was only 3" in the attic! That has since been improved with about 14" of cellulose, but I haven't tackled the walls yet. Plus we have the original windows. All things considered, I think the insert does a very good job of keeping us warm. Last year despite a pretty cold winter, we never turned on the furnace.

How many of you burn with the air completely off? I'm wondering if I should be shutting the air down totally.

BrowningBAR said:
raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:
jatoxico said:

Ray

If he isn't burning the Fireview when the temps are in the 40s and 20s, what's he gonna do, burn the PH twice a winter? :p

That or he will buy a Blaze King King and run it once a year :)

Ray

Backwoods Savage said:
:lol: My wife is the one with polar bear blood. Of course, I heat it up in the house to cause the removal of more clothing....

One of the other "good things about wood heat" ;-)

After you warm the joint up and create a coal bed with those E/W shorties drag the coals to the front and load that lil dude E/W with longer stuff. And don't get hung up with closing it all the way down. Just find that spot with the air control that maintains a nice even burn.

Those pictures make the 2x4s you started the fire with look like they are pressure treated.

Gasifier said:
Those pictures make the 2x4s you started the fire with look like they are pressure treated.

Yeah they do look a bit dark, but they are definitely not pressure treated.

Sorry. I can't find it. We don't have a smiley for a big sigh of relief. Um, new smiley please. Anyone? Help.

Backwoods Savage said:
jatoxico said:

Ah another tip from a veteran. More wood = less clothes, or is it the other way around...I'm confused.

I don't know about around the Savage's house but around here we are both in our sixties and without clothes for either of us ain't a pretty sight. :shut:

Gasifier said:
Sorry. I can't find it. We don't have a smiley for a big sigh of relief. Um, new smiley please. Anyone? Help.

Sunday Morning Burn-Along

Ok so it's more wood, less clothes and fewer lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.