1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Super Cedar Discount / Free Samples

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by NWfuel, Aug 24, 2011.

1. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Carver, Ma has no data on weather.com. Here is plymouth vs middleboro. It appears that plymouth is warmer during the day but colder during the night. You seem to be inbetween these places.

Regardless, of the temp, I bet a few super cedars get used in Florida! I wonder which part of the country most of their sales go to?

pen

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Thanx Rick!
    It's colder in Oregon than I thought! I figured out how to graph my town but they don't have data for my location.. This town abuts mine too http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USMA0252 .. My temps seem much colder than the graphs indicate.. I recall a 2 week period that never rose to 32 with lows slightly below zero plus very windy.. Still cool to see the graphs!

Ray
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Oregon's a big state, with some widely varying climate zones...most dramatically different are the "wet side" to the west of the Cascade range out to the Pacific, and the "dry side" east of the Cascades to Idaho. Two different worlds, weather-wise. I live east of the Cascades in the high desert. Contrast the graph I linked to one from Eugene or Portland and you'll see what I'm talking about. That page on the WeatherChannel site has a "compare" function that will display two zip codes on the same graph...pretty cool. Rick
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    About breaking up them Super Cedars. I break four or five at a time by leaving the plastic intact and cracking them on the edge of the kitchen counter top to quarter them. Then dump them in a coffee canister. The "dust" from the broken up ones are almost the best part. In the 24/7 season when you come down to reload in the morning you throw a half a hand full of that pixie dust on the coals and add the splits and you are off to the races in a heartbeat.
  5. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I see what you mean.. The lows are nearly identical but Portland gets much warmer! In Bend, Or. the temps are nearly flat with little contrast between high and low.. Lots different here and for you too.. In western Mass it gets much colder than here too.. I think I'd prefer the cold as we tend to get the wet heavy snow.. Hard stuff to handle!

Ray
  6. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Tom must have boxes of that dust getting swept off the floor every day. New sales idea? :)

pen
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We have the ones with no label. I like to just break it into quarters.....before unwrapping. Makes it much easier and less messy. No mess at all.
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Used up two more of the Magical Gainsburgers this past weekend . . . had some friends down camping in my yard (those of you going to Woodstock will most likely meet one of those friends) and it was a bit drizzly Friday night and a good portion of the day on Saturday . . . using Super Cedars cut into quarters with my chop saw resulted in very easy starting fires.

I also ended up using a Super Cedar to get my Swedish Inside Out candles going . . . although I also had to add some charcoal lighter fluid later on . . . due to the fact I was using semi-seasoned wood dropped off by one of my other friends.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Jake, why are you using a saw to cut the super cedars? They will break into quarters pretty easy just using 2 hands. I break them before I open the package and it works pretty nice.
  10. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I have delicate hands. ;)

Actually I did this just to make it nice and neat.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Typical fireman?!
  12. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    But were you standing, or sitting?
  13. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    LOL I heard he splits these vertically while sitting on a milk crate.. Dennis would be proud! :)

Ray
  14. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Ya, someday Jake will make us all proud too.
  15. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Standing up . . . but since I was using the chop saw it was a vertical cut, not horizontal. No milk crates were used in this process. :)
  16. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Split the first super cedar I have used in about 4 years last night. I could have just split it on the edge of the cold stove but since there was a milk crate in the corner I decided I'd use it's edge as homage to Dennis. :coolsmile:

Last time I used one it was the freebie Tom spent. It went into the old fisher stove and worked well. However, that thing was virtually fool proof w/ the door dampers when it came to getting a fire started. Plus with the solid doors I couldn't really see what was happening, just knew the fire was going.

Fastforward to just ordering a few and trying them out and all I can say is that the garbage man is going to be finding a whole poo load of newspaper in the recycling next week.

Top down w/ newspaper works just fine, but 1/4 of this supercedar is stupid easy and fast. Less than 10 mins after putting the match to it I have the stove turned down nearly to cruising level as the probe thermometer was about to 900. It would have been closer to 15 or maybe 20 (depending on how many newspaper knots I felt like making and how well they stayed situated) minutes before I normally get to this point.

Ultra impressive getting to watch the little fella burn w/ the glass door too.

pen
  17. tickbitty

tickbitty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    VA
    Thomas, do you still need testimonials?
  18. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Used my first piece of SC today. Almost forgot how well it worked since I had some excitement today. :grrr: Thanks Thomas.
  19. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    I converted a Quadrafire owner last week while elk hunting. I brought some SC's along for campfires. He has burned for 20+ years and is sold.
  20. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah top down was so nice the way it kick started my draft and left me with a clean pipe but I just gave it up after I finally broke down and tried the Official Puck Of The NHL (The National Hearth Association). I do believe that I get a little more accumulation in the pipe from the colds starts now but not enough to care about.

"Stupid easy" is exactly right. And like I have said, save that "pixie dust". Does wonders for that morning reload on some coals dragged to the front.
  21. jonwright

jonwright Member

Loc:
    Little Rock, AR
    When I was racing motorcycles some guys on the USGPRU circuit really liked it. Not bad, not bad at all.
  22. Hass

Hass Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alabama, NY
    I see the discount code is still working, I'll be placing an order when I remember :]

I got a firestarter with my Blaze king stove, it looks very very similar to a super cedar.
    Is it indeed one? Or some other brand?
    I'll take a pic next time I wander out to my trailer.
  23. tickbitty

tickbitty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    VA
    Really? What's the current discount? (I may need to stock up!)
  24. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Look at the first post in the thread.
  25. Hass

Hass Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alabama, NY
    yep, i was hoping it still works and it does!
    On the first post still.