Super Cedar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just got another box of 100. I got the unwrapped this time and they seem less crumbly than the last batch (wrapped) that I bought a couple of years ago. Easy to break into eighths without making a mess. Keep the pieces in a tin near the stove.

Like Bart, I light my logs directly with super cedar.. no kindling necessary

Finally had to reup my supply, lol. Since you can quarter and/or eight these things, a box of 72 or 100 goes a looooong way. Thank you, Thomas, for both a quality product and for sticking with the Hearh.com member discount year after year. It's such a relief to know that as long as I have an eighth or quarter of a Super Cedar and some good, dry "splitter trash" from the barn...I have fire! I do NOT miss the early days of rolling/knotting up ye olde black and white newsprint to get a fire going!

Do you still use kindling while using the supercedars?

I do, but only because we have access to abundant, standing-dead beetle killed pine. We split it up very fine, and since we split wood in the barn, all the "splitter trash" that falls off in the floor is in the dry. With good, dry, seasoned wood, you don't technically HAVE to have kindling, but since 1.) I have a ton and 2.) it speeds up the process, I do it. :)

I do, but only because we have access to abundant, standing-dead beetle killed pine. We split it up very fine, and since we split wood in the barn, all the "splitter trash" that falls off in the floor is in the dry. With good, dry, seasoned wood, you don't technically HAVE to have kindling, but since 1.) I have a ton and 2.) it speeds up the process, I do it. :)

My wife makes a big box of kindling every weekend. I just can't find the time to do it with everything else that needs done.

She is pregnant now and I'm trying to find ways to make everything easier on her.

I've never tried the super cedars. Might just have to do that.

I have never tried super cedars, to much of a tight wad but i discovered this year pine cones work really well.

Pine cones do work well, better still if you cover them in wax, but not as good as super cedars

I'm sitting in front of a fire built with 3 splits, two ~ 5x5x20, and one ~5x3x20.... lit with 1/2 of a super cedar puck.

Really, I'm not a shill for super cedar, just another cheap skate who has chosen simple comfort and ease late in life. Cheap enough to heat with wood, comfortable enough to make lighting it a breeze

Reactions: Doc C

I do . . . because I am an impatient man. ;)

Actually when I want a fire I typically want it to get going sooner rather than later so I use kindling to help move things along. Some folks use part of a Super Cedar and small splits with good results.

Reactions: Doc C
Yes - I bought a 100 pack a few weeks ago. I guessed Hearth17 and it worked. It was a pretty substantial discount.
Just went looking myself as we were surprised to find ourselves out of them and now can hardly live without them! Followed your guess and did hearth19 which was a substantial discount on a box of 100. This is such an excellent product and they deserve all the good word of mouth I can give them!

Just went looking myself as we were surprised to find ourselves out of them and now can hardly live without them! Followed your guess and did hearth19 which was a substantial discount on a box of 100. This is such an excellent product and they deserve all the good word of mouth I can give them!
I didn't finish the transaction, but it did say valid 40% off for the hearth19 code.

I've read a ton of reviews on various fire starters and Super Cedars are extremely highly rated.

I recently discovered how well they work to get the draft started in an ice cold flue on startup to prevent smoke spillage - much better than newspapers and more convenient than a hot air blower.