SuperVent Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
Hi Everyone - planning another chimney install for an up north project. I am curious if I can use SuperVent 637-1623 (cathedral ceiling support box) on a non-cathedral ceiling? Asking because this is about 1/2 the price of the decorator ceiling support box and the the attic insulation shield which I installed last time on a different project. Trying to save some money on the install, the attic insulation type is standard rolled insulation not blown in type. No insulation would be above the height of the cathedral support box.

Absolutely. I do prefer to cover the top of the box with a firestop/soffit plate to ensure critters can’t get in there and build nests.

Absolutely. I do prefer to cover the top of the box with a firestop/soffit plate to ensure critters can’t get in there and build nests.
Agreed I was concerned about critters also. That was one of the major differences between the 2 styles. Silicon caulk and light tin should be okay then to seal up the top of the box?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agreed I was concerned about critters also. That was one of the major differences between the 2 styles. Silicon caulk and light tin should be okay then to seal up the top of the box?

I’m not sure about caulking between the pipe and the plate. Some brands specifically say not to seal there so air can move. I’m sure one could be made, but a factory part is always going to be recommended.

I’m not sure about caulking between the pipe and the plate. Some brands specifically say not to seal there so air can move. I’m sure one could be made, but a factory part is always going to be recommended.
There is a factory part available? Or would that be the decorative version?

There is a factory part available? Or would that be the decorative version?

They call it a soffit plate. Everyone else calls it a firestop. It’s basically the base plate that the attic insulation shield is attached to.

There are several Brands of Selkirk pipe, Super Vent and Super Pro are sold through Menards, Lowes, Tractor Supply, stores. Then there is Selkirk, Ultra Temp, Sure Temp, SSII, SS and these are not interchangeable with the others.

I think a storm collar will work on top of the box. . Can be any brand.

I think a storm collar will work on top of the box. . Can be any brand.
Almost. It doesn’t cover the corners though. That’s using a dura-tech storm collar. The Selkirk collar isn’t even close.

100% coverage is important to keep out rodents and also to prevent some bozo from blowing in insulation or dropping debris around the chimney pipe during a roof deck replacement.

Thanks for all this information, very helpful. Still deciding on which route I will go. Also need to wait for Menards next 11 percent off sale before I can buy any parts. Do like having a plan ready....