1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Sure sign of spring.

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by save$, Apr 10, 2013.

1. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    I took the dogs out tonight and was greeting with a serenade. Peepers, singing loud and clear. Spring has finally arrived! It's about time.
    Adios Pantalones likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I love the peepers. We'd better enjoy them while we can before the locusts emerge.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yeah. Peepers are singing loud and clear!! As semipro states, get ready for the Locusts.... Last time they came, it was the best fishing ever. Put one on the end of a hook, cast, wings flap on water for about a second and BAM!! Bass on..... Can't wait :) (not looking forward to the sound though. Almost deafening)
  4. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Peepers, creepers, where'd ya get those....wait a minute, WTH are peepers?
  5. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Frogs, Dave.

I got a mosquito bite the other day.
  6. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Ah, those peepers.
    I've seen quite a few things flying around recently, but no peeper sounds yet.
  7. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    save$ likes this.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Peas started poking out of the ground today. Another sign of spring. Most of our trees are leafing out now. And I have mowed the lawn 4 times. I think spring is here for sure.
  9. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    you must be about a month ahead of us here. Just now seeing some grass getting green. Some things comming up, like tulips and daylilliess. Ground still is not workable.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Crocuses are now in bloom . . . daffodils and tulips are poking through . . . no green grass yet . . . the Amish however across the road have plowed and erected a plastic tent for growing something. . . .
  11. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Those plastic tents will get you way ahead, and keep you from loosing a crop due to those surprise frost. Otherwise, no warm wether plants until Memorial day here in Maine. Last year, I grew tomatoes in them had harvested a tomato on 6 June.
  12. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Saw my first butterfly of the season, and the first skeeter, yesterday.
  13. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Let's see:

Pulled a couple ticks off the kids...mowed grass...moved the eatin' chickens outside this weekend. Yup...spring is here.
    firebroad likes this.
  14. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Everything turned yellow
    Pollen season was/is brutal this year
  15. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Amazing--last week, went to work, I noted my forsythias were not blooming at all. We had a weird 80+ degree day--came home from work and the forsythias were bright yellow, the saucer magnolia was busting out in pink!
  16. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We're past crocuses and daffodils. Moving into lilac season now. Peas have started showing themselves in the garden. We are ready for spring.
  17. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

I have an old Mr.Turtle pool that makes a great little improvised cold frame. Great for hardening veggie plants without lugging them in/out over and over again. Had some lettuce going under it but kids moved it before a 6" snow.<>

Also used it to ice-chill a deer shot early in the season.
    save$ likes this.
  18. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    The spring peepers- around here, it's a cacaphony! There's a swampy woods nearby and once they all get going the decibels they put out is unbelievable! Some complain of the noise, but I love that sound. New life, greening trees and the smells of spring. Oh and of course - no more feeding the ravenous wood stove real soon...
  19. nate379

nate379 Guest

It got up to 45* today. I processed and delivered 2 cords of wood to a customer, was sweating in a T Shirt!

Canada Geese are starting to show up... guess it's spring.
  20. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Had some rain, a little cool and damp so I started the stove for a couple hrs. 48 f outside and 79 f inside so off with the stove again. Time to transplant some seedlings into larger containers. Still another month before frost free date. Was at HD yesterday and saw tomatoe plants outside on non movable stands. Don't buy those! Even if they haven't been frozen, they get shocked by the cold. This stunts their potential production. You might be ok if you get them the day they are delivered. I won't buy tomatoe plants from any place that didn't grow them from seed because I don't also want to import disease that will eventually kill the plant and spread to other plants.
  21. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

I'll guess it was a Mourning Cloak, they're usually first, and my favorite.
  22. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    In Canada do you suppose they just call them Our Geese? And Canadian bacon is just called Our bacon? ;) :)

And to keep this thread on track . . . peepers are out now. Won't be long before the dreaded blackflies make their appearance.