1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

sweeping without dismantling pipe?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Nutmeg Warrior, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Nutmeg Warrior

Nutmeg Warrior New Member

Loc:
    CT
    This is my first season burning. I want to know if it's possible to sweep without taking everything apart, Can I just run a brush from the top of the liner or through the damper in the stove? Stove is a cat stove with rear exit flue. A few feet of horizontal stove pipe connects to a 25' liner.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. FyreBug

FyreBug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    You may want to consider a telescopic straight section. They are available in single and double wall. Just disconnect the black pipe from the stove, slide up the telescopic part. Attach a plastic bag at the bottom and you're good to go. Sweep away and the stuff will fall in the bag.
  3. Monosperma

Monosperma Member

Loc:
    Colorado/NewMexico
    I'm no expert, but the more you take a construct of thin pipe apart and put it together and take it a part and put it together, the more stress and metal fatigue at crucial points such as screw holes, and the more chance for failure. (Maybe you have full scaffolding and a team of workers to do it so there is no stress or metal fatigue, but I do not.) If you can clean the pipe well enough without disassembly, that's the way I'd go.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If there's a tee connecting the horiz. stub to the liner, then yes. Pull off the cleanout cap, put a bag on the end and sweep.
  5. Nutmeg Warrior

Nutmeg Warrior New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Thanks for the suggestion, FyreBug. I wasn't aware that such a product existed.