Nutmeg Warrior Posted By Nutmeg Warrior, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

1. Nutmeg Warrior

Nutmeg Warrior
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 14, 2012
    Loc:
    CT
    This is my first season burning. I want to know if it's possible to sweep without taking everything apart, Can I just run a brush from the top of the liner or through the damper in the stove? Stove is a cat stove with rear exit flue. A few feet of horizontal stove pipe connects to a 25' liner.

2. FyreBug

FyreBug
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2010
    Loc:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    You may want to consider a telescopic straight section. They are available in single and double wall. Just disconnect the black pipe from the stove, slide up the telescopic part. Attach a plastic bag at the bottom and you're good to go. Sweep away and the stuff will fall in the bag.

3. Monosperma

Monosperma
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 4, 2011
    Loc:
    Colorado/NewMexico
    I'm no expert, but the more you take a construct of thin pipe apart and put it together and take it a part and put it together, the more stress and metal fatigue at crucial points such as screw holes, and the more chance for failure. (Maybe you have full scaffolding and a team of workers to do it so there is no stress or metal fatigue, but I do not.) If you can clean the pipe well enough without disassembly, that's the way I'd go.

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If there's a tee connecting the horiz. stub to the liner, then yes. Pull off the cleanout cap, put a bag on the end and sweep.

5. Nutmeg Warrior

Nutmeg Warrior
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 14, 2012
    Loc:
    CT
    Thanks for the suggestion, FyreBug. I wasn't aware that such a product existed.