Switching from thru the wall to thru the ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
IMG_2203.JPG
As I plan for next winters stove and pipe change, I'm considering going from a thru the wall pipe to a thru the ceiling. The chase is a pile of crap ( LONG story)and I'm taking it all down to either expose the pipe and strap it to the building, or removing it all, and going thru the roof. While I know that using the existing set up would be easier and cheaper, I'm going to have to use some sort of extension on the outside where the wall thimble and the T meet and transition vertical. The chase is half built into the wall of the house and there would need to be an extension between the T and thimble to come out 2' to clear the soffit, fascia and gutter. I think that is going to look really silly but that is just a guess. Here is a pic of what I will be removing. I keep going back and forth on the best approach here while being frugal. I don' have any issues with draft so if it stays the same set up pipe wise, I'm fine with that, but this mess of a chase/squirrel highway is got to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could just keep it the same and run it through the soffit especially since you will be building the soffit.

Reactions: tlhfirelion
You could just keep it the same and run it through the soffit especially since you will be building the soffit.

What type of pass thru does that use? I have a wall thimble but I assume this uses the ceiling pass thru and flashing? Thank you for the reply.

What type of pass thru does that use? I have a wall thimble but I assume this uses the ceiling pass thru and flashing? Thank you for the reply.
Just a fire stop would work fine with flashing on top. But allot of that will depend on the pipe you are using they all have different components.

I vote for keeping/rebuilding the chase. The chimney terminus is nice and high for good draft. I don't think a shiny pipe with bracing that high will look as good. Plus, you can put more flues in there...I have three.

I vote for keeping/rebuilding the chase. The chimney terminus is nice and high for good draft. I don't think a shiny pipe with bracing that high will look as good. Plus, you can put more flues in there...I have three.

I've considered that for a few years. Without boring you with all the reasons why, that thing is a mess from top to bottom. It would be more expensive and be a much bigger headache to keep it. If I could cover that in stack stone veneer or something and redo it from the ground up, maybe, but thats much to expensive. Yes, it would look better but not so much better that I'm convinced to keep it.

I have a relatively new house and the pipe chase is covered in vinyl, just like the house. It looks fine. You should get some cost estimates, anyway. Don't forget, that pipe isn't cheap if you have to buy a bunch.

I was just looking at metal fab's site and another option is to just go thru the ceiling. Aside from the support box, attic insulation shield and a few misc roof materials, I have everything I need. My current pipe is (if I remember correctly) 13' from the T. It is just over 2' higher than my roof ridge and clear around so no issues there. I plan to reuse this pipe and if it was 13' from a new roof support box in the ceiling, then I'm 15-16' higher with no elbows or T's. That's plenty of pipe I would think as drafting has never been an issue in the current set up. Then i could just close up the outside like the rest of the house and be done with it all. I keep feeling like I'm missing something. lol
Thanks for the replies guys.

Then i could just close up the outside like the rest of the house and be done with it all. I keep feeling like I'm missing something. lol
That is the best performing option anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.