1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Take me to school...I need some learnin'

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by smwilliamson, Jul 15, 2013.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Enviro makes solid stoves. They are conventional secondary tube design and well made. Their Boston line of freestanding stoves are like the PE Alderleas and Jotul F45/50/55. That is a fine steel stove with a cast iron jacket. Other good stove lines are Quadrafire, Country (Lennox), Kuma, Hampton (Regency deluxe), Osburn, Napoleon.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stovelark

stovelark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    Scott, most steel stoves are easy to start and run, cannot lose with Quad, PE, Country (Now Lennox) Napoleon and my favorite is Enviro. The best value out there in the higher rung of steel stoves. Their cast line, is cast over steel (hybrids) and kinda pricey. Two burn engines in all the lines 1200 and 1700. The Cabello is pretty but depth restrictions espec the 1700. Like BG, the PE and Enviro cast side are pretty for the enamel folks out there, but their non-cat, FS wood stoves are great to sale and service. Simple to clean as well, just taking the blower off the side of their inserts will be (no prob for you, you know their pellet line already) an adjustment, two star screws behind the surround. But easy to clean and service. Good luck.
  3. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Thanks. I heard the Boston decent stove, just do not have much to compare it to. I install a Jotul F600 last year for a few people (used stoves), thought they were really nice but not a whole lot of draft in them even though we has a 45' chimney, straight up, no turns and 5 feet above the roof line, go figure.
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia

That's very odd. That much chimney is typically a recipe for over-fire / run-away stove conditions in a non-cat EPA stove. What type of chimney?
  5. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Duravent 6" class A though I may be judging it from a pellet head point of view..
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    "Ideal" for a wood stove is most often quoted as insulated or class-A, roughly 20 to 35 feet. If you have much less than 20 feet, draft can be too weak for many stoves, particularly slow-burning cat stoves (see back puffing) and downdraft stoves (see "neverburn"). More than 35 feet of chimney is sometimes blamed for overheating catalytic combusters, or run-away conditions in non-cats.
  7. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Yep until the freight train starts rumbling from that cord of "seasoned " wood you bought 2 weeks ago.:rolleyes:
  8. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Best thing you can do for your customers is educate them on what seasoned wood really is ( your self also) as fully 80% of problems are directly related to improper fuel supply.
    Joful likes this.
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Scott I see you know as much about wood stoves as a lot of dealers out there. ;lol
    Delta-T and begreen like this.
  10. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    There is little in common with a pellet stove except that they both make heat and have smoke coming out of a pipe. You might want to revisit those folks and see how the stove is doing. With dry wood they could be in an overfire setup. 45 ft is about 15 ft greater than the mfg. recommends.
    Delta-T likes this.
  11. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    I'm on the low end of what Joful stated (20 - 35 ft) - just under 20 feet straight up with a bit under 5 ft above the roofline, and it drafts beautifully (maybe 1 or 2 exceptions in the last few years). Every stove / situation is different, but 45 straight up seems like it would almost need a damper if the wood is good...?
  12. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    I called them today and they couldn't be happier...so I guess everything is alright, perhaps their wood was green the day of the install.
  13. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's good, I guess. Athough if green wood was the case my concern would be what happens when they burn dry wood. Are there some 90 degree turns in the smoke path? A key damper in the flue pipe? Both will help decrease draft. They should also have a thermometer on the stove top and they should get the chimney cleaned. It would be interesting to know what comes out. 45 ft of pipe will cool down smoke a lot.
  14. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    check and double check. Yes key damper is there, two 90's then straight up
  15. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    That's the "key" element. Without a damper, that tall flue would be a little rambunctious. It is tamed by the damper.