Talk me out of this stove at tractor supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathleen if that price is your ballpark ($1,500) why don't you look into the Englander brand? The 13 or 30 have great rep here. I think Mike at Englander will even ship direct to you if you don't have a local dealer.

One question: Have you figured out who will do the install? Around here I had a devil of a time finding someone to install a stove if not bought from them. I was getting bids of between $1,000 to $2,000 just for the install without liner/cap/etc.

Shari

Thanks for your input. The stove was on sale for about $950.

One local shop does not do their own installs and gave me a name. I haven't gotten a quote from him yet. Another shop will install even if you didn't buy the stove there.

K, step it up.

Don't be cheap, be smart.

You can usually get an NC30 at Home Depot for around that price. I was there today and they had one for $999.

Our Lowes has the Englander 13-NC marked down to $599. It has tighter side clearances. Are you near Asheville? Worth a Lowes and/or Home Depot look. And I just learned US Stoves are made 75 miles form me.

albertj03 said:
You can usually get an NC30 at Home Depot for around that price. I was there today and they had one for $999.

The original poster had an earlier thread stating that the square footage she is dealing with is about 1,000 sq ft. The 30NC will blow her out of the house. The 13NC would be better, and should be even cheaper, if price is a main factor for the purchase.

Don't overlook Buck stoves. They are made in North Carolina and the prices are very good. For 1000 sq ft, the model 21 would work great and they are under $1000.00 at a store in Ashboro NC.

http://www.buckstove.com/

I bought a model 74 today and will be installing it this week.

Good Luck,
Rob

BrowningBAR said:
albertj03 said:

The original poster had an earlier thread stating that the square footage she is dealing with is about 1,000 sq ft. The 30NC will blow her out of the house. The 13NC would be better, and should be even cheaper, if price is a main factor for the purchase.

Browning, she has poor insulation. Really poor.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrowningBAR said:
albertj03 said:

Browning, she has poor insulation. Really poor.

30NC it is! :)

Another plus for the Englander: If you purchase from Home Depot I believe they will deliver (around here they do anyway).

Shari

This season is almost over. Watch for used ones on CL.
Should be some more sales soon.'
You have time to shop, don't buy one you don't like. You'll never like it.
Save up some more $ to a good one & get what you want.
(lessons learned from a ole fart) ;) saves money in the long run!

Talk me out of this stove at tractor supply
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
http://www.usstove.com/proddetail.php?prod=2015

It's been deemed a "cheap" stove in some posts here. I checked out my local box stores and only TS had clearance stoves and this was the only EPA stove.

Have we done a good enough job? :)

We aren't saying that the 30NC is your only choice, but if you are thinking of buying the stove you posted, the 30NC is the better option for nearly the identical amount of money.

I was looking at that stove at my local TSC yesterday. It is an EPA certified non-cat stove, so it does have a burn tube style design. It didn't look like a terrible stove, but I think $1500 is crazy high for it. For that price, there are much better units out there.

As an Englander 30 owner, I'll second the vote for an Englander 13 or 30. Their value is hard to beat. You should be able to pick one up for under $1000, especially as we get start getting into spring.

-SF

Agree with many above. Go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and try to get an Englander (It's called Summers Heat there) for half price. Bring cash if you can and ask for the store manager. Deals can be had! If I were to buy another stove, it would be an Englander, just to see if they meet the hype!

Kath, this seems to have strayed all over the planet with options. Best to narrow down the choices to what is most important and shut out the rest.
Is this about looking for the cheapest stove that can be installed or about a good investment for the next decade of use?

If this is just looking for the cheapest stove to be found, perhaps there have been a lot of wasted posts here.

Kathleen,
If you live near Asheville,I will be glad to help you.I think you will be better off with an england stove,but whatever you choose if need help let me know.I had planned on getting my inlaws england 13 a few weeks ago but the weather messed us up.I live near Lincolnton and will be glad to help if you need any.

I'd like to get back to the fundamentals here........your question seems to be deeper than the price. Is this a non-Catalytic stove? What is it about this stove that causes you to double-think your decision to buy it? What don't YOU like about it?

-Soupy1957

Recently I bought a used 25 year old Blaze King King for $350 on Craigslist. If you are shopping based on cost/performance, I suggest you look for a well cared for/or hardly used pre owned unit. Local dealers are an ok source as they will usually know the history on the stove, or you can try your luck on CL, ebay, or other local sources like I did. You could even buy used, then have a dealer go over it to look for cracks, refinish, etc if you don't want to do any of the dirty work. If you're simply shopping around for your first new stove I think some of the other recommendations would work better for you than a TSC sourced woodburner. Either way for the same amount of money or less you'll probably be happier.

Craig

KYrob said:
Don't overlook Buck stoves. They are made in North Carolina and the prices are very good. For 1000 sq ft, the model 21 would work great and they are under $1000.00 at a store in Ashboro NC.

http://www.buckstove.com/

I bought a model 74 today and will be installing it this week.

Good Luck,
Rob

+1, it's made in the neighborhood. Also, check the trader type classifieds Asheville / Greenville area, usually dozens of used stoves for sale.

bogydave said:
Have we done a good enough job? :)
I guess so!

Thank you all for you input. I am still keeping all of my options open, including Englander. I'm not trying to buy the cheapest stove. I'm just pondering why a nice sized steel EPA stove with similar components is worth (at the ~950 sale price) quite a bit less than a stove of similar size. I'm trying to learn what makes the Lopi Endeavor that I looked at yesterday worth 1k more. What does that extra 1k buy me? I had checked out that previous thread but found no explanation, other than that it's made in China (which is disconcerting), for what exactly makes this stove cheap and another stove quality. The secondary burn system? The quality of the steel?

To address some of your other points-
Yes I am close to Asheville. Will give another look at Buck.
I am not seriously shopping used stoves because the tax credit towards the stove, liner, and install make the new stove a more attractive (to me) option. I do check Craiglist and the Iwanna just in case there's a deal I cannot refuse.

My house was completely uninsulated when I moved in 1.5 years ago. It has excellent windows and log exterior walls except for the kitchen. I have insulated the crawl space and some of the attic. I am working on finishing the attic.

My home depot has no stoves. TS has only that one and a smaller, EPA exempt stove, and Lowe's had 2 Summer's Heat not on sale with no immediate plans for a sale.

I could wait to buy a stove, but time is money. My house is cold all the time. I have two more months before it gets warm-ish here. With no stove, I will burn through the remaining oil I have and have to pull money out of my stove/wood fund to get some more. Any extra money I might have to save for a dream stove (PE Alderlea T5, Jotul Oslo) is now going towards paying off the new water pipes in my yard. Truck needs new tires and brakes. Kid needs new shoes.....and on it goes.

I also took a second look at the lopi 1250 and 1750 republic yesterday.

Some of the things that affect the stove price are materials, the Magnolia weighs right at a hundred pounds less than a comparable Lopi, Englander or PE stove, replaceable components like baffle rails that can be replaced in the Lopi or PE but not the Englander or Magnolia and distribution network. A dealer selling one or two Lopi or PE stoves a month has to have a higher markup and less pricing clout with the manufacturer than HD or Lowes that buy stoves by the rail car load. Other variables are in play but that is a few of them.

Additionally the stove shop has to make enough to handle service issues and the time dealing with window shoppers as well as serious customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.