Tarm coil for hot water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2009
north west pa.
I have just started my Solo plus 40 this week. Took a while to work through all the plumbing.
My question is with the hot water coil . Has anyone installed one of these ? Mine seems to runout of hot water in very short time.
My old boiler we took out had a 25 gallon tank and we never ran out of hot water.

should be able to keep up with a single shower no problem. What does your installer say? Are you running multiple faucets/shower heads simultaneously? Have your contractor take a look at things or give us a call at tech support. Should be pretty straight forward to work out. Chris.

Chris
The boiler is running at about 180 and I do have a scald valve installed that would mix cold with hot set at 120 deg.
No multiple faucets or shower heads. Running boiler without storrage at this time. Boiler is doing a grate job .

It could be an issue with your scald valve. You might try turning up the temp on it so that less cold is mixed with the hot water. I have noticed when I use the coil in the boiler (which I don't do much now that I have a coil in my storage) that if you run the hot water continuously that the boiler temp will drop.

Before I installed the storage tank, I ran my hot water off the Tarm coil in the boiler. One shower running, no problem. Add another draw on the hot water (dishes, laundry, second shower) and the temp would drop. The issue has to do with the speed the water is running through the coil. The Tarm coil is short and the incoming water doesn't have much time to be heated. I have a tub with a high flow filler. If I ran it full bore to fill up the tub, the hot water was never warm enough. In order to get hot water, I had to slow down the fill rate. Now that the I have the storage tank up and running, no problems at all. Put a storage system in the budget as soon as possible. You won't regret it!

Thanks to all these replys.
I have an electric hot water tank that we use in the summer to get me by. I have to leave this coil on when the furnace is running for now but want to make some changes.
I have thought of a side arm or a indirect water heater.
Hope that by next winter I will be able to find a storage tank.

I'd make a loop that connects the Tarm coil with the elec tank. I believe it's better if the loop makes the hot water circulate thru the tank, and not thru a side arm. You can connect to the elec with T's at the drain and the P/t valve, just like the side arm guys do. Put in a flapper type check valve to prevent reverse flow.

Use the coil in the tarm to heat your electric hot water tank , with a loop through your coil and water heater with a small circulator .

what you want to do is make a loop from your electric water heater through the coil and back to the water heater . The best way I ever found to do this was draw out of the water heater drain by putting a T in there and then return back into your cold water inlet . Use a samll bronze or Stainless steal circ to circulate the water through this loop . You will need to add a mixer valve on your hot side out of your electric water heater as the water heater will get as hot as your boiler ..
Your tarm coil loop will act just like your water heater now if you do it this way , only you will have probably about 3 times the hot water available.

Webie is right on here with his description. I would add that you will need to put a check valve in or get a pump with one built in. You will also want shutoffs for the loop so that you can stop the flow in summer. The potable water pumps are rather pricey, but probably worth it for your application. This will work much better than just drawing it straight through the Tarm coil. When you add storage you could use the same loop with pump to charge the hot water tank through a coil in your storage tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.