Tax credit question. Purchase date, Install date, inspection date? Which one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blel

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Southeast CT
Which of the above dates is the defining one for the 2009 tax credit?
I bought a stove in 08, installed it myself in 08, but didn't get it inspected until 09. Think I could get away with the credit based on the inspection date? If need be, I could also say that it wasn't installed until 09.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, does the Englander 13 qualify?

Thanks

If you did a search on the basic topic "Tax Credit" you will find alot of chatter on this matter and others.

No one here is going to tell you what to do with your taxes- but having said that, until the IRS actually has the energy credit form ready (maybe they do now I haven't checked recently) it is unknown how they will define that. The DOE has stated that it qualifies if it was placed in service in 2009, they go on further to say that means ready to use - if the IRS also defines it this way than you might be OK if you couldn't use the stove until the inspection.

If you are fishing around to see what other people think of the matter then try the search - there have been some lengthy discussions.

Go to the manufacturers website to see if it qualifies - they have to provide a certificate and many that do post this on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.