Teardown & Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
Hello all! Been a long time.

I've come for some wisdom. I'm currently doing a remodel on a new house. Included is a large brick chimney in the middle of the house. I'd like to reclaim most of this space (it's about 6' wide) and replace it with a Class A chimney. I'm looking for something to save me the most space. I'm tearing out the chimney - starting above the roof and bringing it down to just below floor level (I did this at my last house and had great results). This time, I'm wanting to build a channel for the new chimney to live in.

My questions are:
1. has anyone done this before?
2. Should I frame up the chimney cavity with metal?
3. Is there anything I should particularly keep in mind that I'm not aware of?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I've never installed Class A and in this particular installation, I'm sure there will be some things that I'll run into that I wasn't expecting - just trying to get ahead so I can plan for these exceptions.

I've read some of the install posts, so I'm aware of Ceiling Joists and getting around those.

Thanks all.

No need to frame out of metal just follow the chimney's instructions as far as what space is needed. The main thing to watch for is make sure that chimney is not structural more often than not the support floor framing and you will need to add new structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.