Tearing out Prefab and installing ZC from outside chase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
And just to add another log to the fire.... If you're going to be the installer of such a project do you feel confident that the original ZC fireplace has been installed properly? Regardless of whether some code official somewhere has signed off on it or not, as the person installing the wood stove insert, you have now accepted all responsibility for both the insert and fireplace installation.
Yes many we have pulled out or done level 3 inspections on are not installed with proper clearances. Many people even "installers" hear zero clearance and dont bother to read the insructions to find out that they really are not zero clearance.

Reactions: HomeinPA
And to be clear there is no way you could possibly install an insert in this fireplace according to the hht instructions you posted. They clearly state that the fireplace cannot be altered other than removing the damper and trim. In this case tubes would need to be cut out.
What tubes? I didn't realize there were any on the EM-42.

What tubes? I didn't realize there were any on the EM-42.
The 4 tubes running across the flue opening that makes this a pita to clean. We have a development full of them. The tubes can easily be seen in the pics.

Reactions: HomeinPA
In that case, no dispute, it's a no go.

In that case, no dispute, it's a no go.
And that is the problem with this whole issue. The instructions contradict themselves. They all say the fireplace must be listed. But when you pull the grate and damper it is no longer listed. In this case one set of instructions says you can install an insert but another set of hht instructions says you cant. They say approved inserts but wont give you a list of those inserts. They do everything they can to tell you you can do it while making it so you cant do it and follow the directions.

Removing the tubes make it a "no-go"? The tubes could be easily removed. I understand the manual says you can't modify the prefab, but these tubes are only for the blower. The prefab can be run without the blower even turned on.

Removing the tubes make it a "no-go"? The tubes could be easily removed. I understand the manual says you can't modify the prefab, but these tubes are only for the blower. The prefab can be run without the blower even turned on.
Yes it could be used without the blower but not without the tubes.

If the tubes have to be cut out, that is modifying the structure of the stove. Damper, grate and door removal is all that is permitted. You could contact HHT and ask, but it doesn't look possible unless they bend their own rules. If they say yes, be sure to get it in writing.

And that is the problem with this whole issue. The instructions contradict themselves. They all say the fireplace must be listed. But when you pull the grate and damper it is no longer listed. In this case one set of instructions says you can install an insert but another set of hht instructions says you cant. They say approved inserts but wont give you a list of those inserts. They do everything they can to tell you you can do it while making it so you cant do it and follow the directions.
I have 2 words for you: Plausible Deniability