Ten Commandments of Wood Scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamaman

Oct 6, 2009
MA
As I drive around town, I often find myself "coveting my neighbor's stacks and unsplit rounds" - is there something wrong with me?

Oh no, I see a dead tree in my neigbors yard and ask them to call me if they ever take it down. I'm obsessed. I gots lots of wood, just no stove at the moment.

Ive been considering having business cards made up from the internet, for $10 you can get 500 or somthing... Dont know what theyd say "Remmy, wood nut" I guess.

I think at that point I'll be out of the heating business as the padded rooms have great insulation.

"Thou shalt not steal wood (or anything else) from over Jon's fence.He gets angry.But if you would ask first,he would help you with whatever you need."

Thou shalt not steal wood someone else has felled, bucked, and dragged to the side of the road to haul away.
Thou shalt not fell, buck, and drag wood to the side of the road, and then abandon it.
Thou shalt not allow abandoned wood to lie on the side of the road, alone and forlorn.
Thou shalt not measure the moisture content in free wood until you get it home.
Thou shalt not place any other fuel above wood, unless thy wife demands it.
Thou shalt procreate and have many children, as they will aid in the gathering and splitting.

Thou shalt not buck more than you can take in your next load lest ye come back and find your rounds gone.

Thou shalt keepeth a maul and gloves on thine truckbed just in case.

The Lord provides!

My wife said I was weird for instinctively grabbing the Black Locust rounds the DOT left at the roadside after the hurricane. I feel better now.

bluedogz said:
instinctively grabbing the Black Locust

there is definitely a commandment about not snoozing on the good stuff

Always bring all the saw! (even the big one)

Thou shall not count on smokinjay to bring saw fuel....or splitter fuel for that matter. ;)

Bocefus78 said:
Thou shall not count on smokinjay to bring saw fuel....or splitter fuel for that matter. ;)

:cheese: Gallon only goes so far on a 42oz tank. Heck two gallons for that matter! MMAULS will be dry before noon to... :lol:

SolarAndWood said:
Thou shalt not buck more than you can take in your next load lest ye come back and find your rounds gone.

Shout this one from the mountain tops !!!!

Been there, done that, paid the price of the disappearing wood !

Shawn

Thou shalt not burn any wood before its time (above 25%mc)
Thou shalt not post an ad for free wood (shorts and uglies).
Thou shalt not just show up for free wood (could be a deck, tree, twigs, construction material etc.....)
Thou shalt not go to an address listed for free wood if you don't have a coorespondence confirming the existance of said wood.
Thou shalt not over load the trailer, costing much more than the $100 in free wood.

Mmmm constant comments to the wife as we drive around, I kinda like the business card idea, for all the loads just sitting there in the lots of non burners.

I hope that one day Discovery Channel will have a show dedicated to Wood Scrounging. It would be so fun to watch.

smokinjay said:
Always bring all the saw! (even the big one)
Ain't that the truth. Seems like the one time I'm out with only one saw I wish I had another. If I had an 880 it would go everywhere with me. Seriously, I mean EVERYWHERE.

bluedogz said:
My wife said I was weird for instinctively grabbing the Black Locust rounds the DOT left at the roadside after the hurricane. I feel better now.

Sorry, but being like us doesn't mean you aren't weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.