Termovar valve temp. setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougcarlo

Jul 29, 2008
Interior Alaska
My termovar valve has a setting of 72 C on it, which is 160 F. Is this a normal setting or is it high? I thought they were around 140 F, can you get them in lower settings? Thanks Doug

I think mine is also a 72C got with my EKO and has been ok temp wise.

In my opinion 72C is the proper setting. Depending on the setting of the balancing valve, system return water temp, and gpm flow, actual return water to the boiler can vary over quite a range. Earlier this winter I installed a temperature sensor and LED digital panel meter to monitor actual return water temp; a strap on temp sensor also would be fine. This allows easy setting of the balancing valve to achieve the return water temp you desire or recommended.

I have found that keeping return water at 150-160F (65-72C) noticeably improves boiler performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.