That time of year again! Moving my heat..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mjhco6

Jan 29, 2018
VIRGINIA
I have a Harman P43, I need some help moving my heat through out the house this year more than ever. Have a 7 month old in the back bed rooms and I can’t get the back rooms warm. Here is a quick sketch of my floor plan. I have a fan placed on the far wall in the kitchen facing the living room and I have air movement up top towards the kitchen.

That time of year again! Moving my heat..

Best way to move air is to place fans on floor, blowing cooler air into stove room, thus pushing the warmer air out. They do make little fans that look like a spider web that mount on top of door frames to blow warmer air into rooms. They must be slow so as not to cool the warm air they are blowing. Might try a small 6" fan on floor in hallway, blowing cooler air into living room. kap

Reactions: Mjhco6
Yup, that’s what’s going on now, I have paper taped to the molding up top between kitchen and living room and the paper is moving towards the kitchen at a good rate. I just can’t get the paper in the back rooms to push in the room.

I would put a pedestal fan at the living room opening and have it run 24/7. Then I would put a fan close to the floor at the end of the hall way, by the number 28 on your diagram. That should move the cool air towards the living room area and then the warm air moves in.

Reactions: Mjhco6
you have any ceiling fans? I would put one in the hallway to get the air circulating and in the livingroom if possible

Which way should I fave the pedestal fan? Towards the living room or dining room? I’ve put a box fan at the end of the hall way (28 in diagram) and the air flow doesn’t seem to be all that great. Thanks for everyone’s input.

With a small childs room, you may be better served with a small room heater one with cool touch grill for safety. The P43 can only work so hard under the best conditions. Hope this helps, some times the easy is missed. Good Luck

Reactions: kappel15
With a small childs room, you may be better served with a small room heater one with cool touch grill for safety. The P43 can only work so hard under the best conditions. Hope this helps, some times the easy is missed. Good Luck
I have a heat pump, just trying to experiment this winter and burn the stove as much as I can.

OK.You bought a room heater,and now you want to find a way to transfer the heat.Has been tried,for many years.You live in a huge horizontal house.Heat does not flow well,left and right.The more electricity you use to "transfer' heat/cooling,the more you are fooling yourself,it is all money,in the long run.Just to give you an example,go to the farm store,buy 3 1500 "milkhouse" heaters,put them in 1 room,and see how that heats your house.Central heating systems came in to "vogue" in the middle to late 1800's.Moving heat is very expensive,usually more than what you think you would save,heating a different way.There is no magical way to save you money,on your heating,it is pure logic. Sorry if I have been blunt,but this was addressed before,before the forum changed ownership.

Reactions: kappel15 and Ssyko
OK.You bought a room heater,and now you want to find a way to transfer the heat.Has been tried,for many years.You live in a huge horizontal house.Heat does not flow well,left and right.The more electricity you use to "transfer' heat/cooling,the more you are fooling yourself,it is all money,in the long run.Just to give you an example,go to the farm store,buy 3 1500 "milkhouse" heaters,put them in 1 room,and see how that heats your house.Central heating systems came in to "vogue" in the middle to late 1800's.Moving heat is very expensive,usually more than what you think you would save,heating a different way.There is no magical way to save you money,on your heating,it is pure logic. Sorry if I have been blunt,but this was addressed before,before the forum changed ownership.

All good man, like I said just trying to experiment. We loose power a lot in the winter so trying to figure out the best way to transfer heat if need be. I’ve read all kinds of stories about people “heating their whole house” with a pellet stove as small as mine so figure why not ask and see if it’s all BS, different floor plan, or did somebody finally figure it out haha!

Which way should I fave the pedestal fan? Towards the living room or dining room? I’ve put a box fan at the end of the hall way (28 in diagram) and the air flow doesn’t seem to be all that great. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Have the pedestal fan pointed out towards the master bath corner. The warm air should gather in that area and then start moving around. If you put that close-to-the-floor fan at the end of the hall way, blowing right to left, it will move the cool air out of the hallway, which will cause the warm air to move in over the top. Then hopefully the warm air will move into bed 1 and 2. I have a corner fan like the one shown above, and it works slowly because it doesn't move a lot of air quickly, but it works if you leave it on all day.

I found that using the HVAC furnace/AC fan works well at keeping the entire house a more even(ish) temp. I used to manually turn it on and off but discovered a better way to do it. What I do is kill power to my AC compressor/condenser and set the thermostat to "cool" so when the fan comes on, the compressor won't run but everything is still automatic. The thermostat is in the main living area of the house where the pellet stove is so it works extremely well. The highest temp that my wife and I can stand in the main living area is about 74-75 degrees so I set the stat to 74. It takes about 10 minutes to satisfy the stat and drop the temp to 72 or so, while moving just enough warm air to the cold back bedrooms to keep them comfortable. Once the fan shuts off it takes about 30 minutes minutes before the temp in the main living area rises enough to repeat the cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dgm43
kill power to my AC compressor/condenser

Not a good idea for people in cold climates. A lot of outdoor modern central air units have small heaters of some sort so the compressor doesn't get damaged in severe cold weather. A lot of them are just heat trace type (heat tape), I know there are others but those are the ones I'm familiar with.

Not a good idea for people in cold climates. A lot of outdoor modern central air units have small heaters of some sort so the compressor doesn't get damaged in severe cold weather. A lot of them are just heat trace type (heat tape), I know there are others but those are the ones I'm familiar with.

Yes, heat pumps use a crank case heater and a low ambient temp control, however, a typical residential air conditioning condenser has no need for either, IIRC.

Ok I think I got something going here. Got a box fan at the end of the hallway (28) blowing down the hallway towards the living room and ceiling fan on in Bed1 blowing downwards. I have tissue paper taped to the entrances of living room and Bed1. Living room tissue paper is blowing towards dining room and Bed1 tissue paper blowing into Bed1 room. I closed the doors to Bath and Bed2. Temps were consistent feeling and noticed a considerable difference when Bath and Bed2 doors were opened... much colder in those rooms. It’s only 54 degrees outside tonight, stove was on low fan speed and set at only 55 degrees on constant burn. Will check how it works again when it is colder outside.