That was interesting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clodhopper

Nov 14, 2009
NE PA
Last night the whole family was sitting in the room one of the Oslos is in. The stove was about half way through it's burn cycle. One of my kids opened the door to let the dogs out and about 10 seconds after she closed it there was a small explosion inside the stove, which blew ashes past the front door gasket and onto the ash lip, smoke and ash out the air intake in the back, and smoke out all of the double wall stovepipe joints. I am assuming that for some reason, opening the house door reversed the draft momentarily, and the conditions in the stove were just right to detonate the gasses. No harm seems to have be done, but it sure got everyone's attention.

Last night the whole family was sitting in the room one of the Oslos is in. The stove was about half way through it's burn cycle. One of my kids opened the door to let the dogs out and about 10 seconds after she closed it there was a small explosion inside the stove, which blew ashes past the front door gasket and onto the ash lip, smoke and ash out the air intake in the back, and smoke out all of the double wall stovepipe joints. I am assuming that for some reason, opening the house door reversed the draft momentarily, and the conditions in the stove were just right to detonate the gasses. No harm seems to have be done, but it sure got everyone's attention.

This has happened a few times to me once blowing the lid open a couple inches on top of the stove which is very heavy !!!. Sometimes the gases in a log just don't release from there pocket and when the log falls and breaks BOOOOOMMMM it will scare the daylights out of you if it has never happened to you before. Defiantly a conversation maker !

Pete

This happens on my 30 from time to time. It usually happens when the secondaries are dying down and the front door is opened or if its very windy outside as the secondaries resume, she lets out a small explosion and a bit of smoke comes out of the seals or even the pipe seams.

Come spring you might consider adding a couple feet of pipe to the chimney if possible, or maybe an OAK if the house is nice and tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.