Thats why you buy them!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
MMAUL just a nick but No Doctor bill here!

Attachments

• erinwood4.jpg
    erinwood4.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1,016
I did the same last summer. Now I wonder if I should buy a new pair - probably should.

HeatsTwice said:
I did the same last summer. Now I wonder if I should buy a new pair - probably should.

I have a pair the same way. Mine the Kevlar never got touch so my GF glued in a patch. I know the safety police may not like that but the Kevlar is perfect.

Mine incident pulled out a ton of kevlar and jammed the saw blade, as it should.

HeatsTwice said:
Mine insident pulled out a ton of kevlar and jammed the saw blade, as it should.

So did MMAUL but didnt take much of the kevlar at all. Got to be 6 plys still there not sure what he will do? (Safety Police)lol Odd ball spot there in he was moving when the tree started to fall. Its a 361 so it likes to spin after you lift.

Jay, you have to aim that thing a little better! Glad it turned out okay.

Backwoods Savage said:

Wasnt me it was MMAUL. He is pulling alot of trigger time and those 361 like to spin even at an idle.

mainstation said:
smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Wasnt me it was MMAUL. He is pulling alot of trigger time and
those 361 like to spin even at an idle.

That's a no-no. Take it easy.

Thats why we buy them! He was moving off a felling tree it can happen to anyone. Mainly a 361. I know there atlest 3 years old (chaps) not bad for a young guy. Oh and he wanted to take pick's so other can learn.

Already patched. on further inspection took one layer of kevlar. sure beats stiches. took 5 minutes to cleanout the saw and was back to bucking.

MMaul said:
Already patched. on further inspection took one layer of kevlar. sure beats stiches. took 5 minutes to cleanout the saw and was back to bucking.

Well you cut through black locust and hedge apple and your chaps what you think of the LP series Oregon chain?

Very nice and sharp chain especially when dealing with locus, after cutting 3 tree and 2 hedges had to touch it up with the file, probably didnt need to but just wanted to keep it sharp for the last tree.

MMaul said:
Very nice and sharp chain especially when dealing with locus, after cutting 3 tree and 2 hedges had to touch it up with the file, probably didnt need to but just wanted to keep it sharp for the last tree.

Wood doesn't get any harder than that stuff. Wedges was even harder. Ants going crazy.

since i was cutting I didnt realize some of it had ants

MMaul said:
since i was cutting I didnt realize some of it had ants
I was jumping from bucking and stacking they where eveywhere.

MMaul said:

MMaul, glad that everything worked like it was suppose to.

Zap

yeah I am glad they did too. If anyone is thinking they shouldn't buy a pair think again. this could have been a bad day.

Hi -

I started wearing chaps since a close (older) buddy gave me a pair and 'suggested' I wear them. After 3-4 years of no incidents I was starting to think maybe they aren't needed all the time.... Then i caught 1 tooth on the knee. I had the chaps on and the saw was almost dead stopped. Lesson learned ; ) I don't require a bigger hint.

ATB,
Mike

Abasolutly when I met Jay he wore them and made several suggestions that I buy them, even thought I would never happen to me. But I rationalized it as $70 chaps are cheaper then an emergency room visit, it would be a good cautionary measure. I am sure glad I had them. Could have been 20 stiches instead of 5 minutes of cleaning a saw.

Does it make much of a difference on what brand you buy, are some better sized than others, I need to buy a pair.

oldspark said:
Does it make much of a difference on what brand you buy, are some better sized than others, I need to buy a pair.

Price point on these things seem to be very close. They will let you try them on at any dealership. They really don't need to cover your foot ankle's if your running a shorter bar, but doesn't hurt anything either!

I bought stihl, but Baileys has a nice video where they put some through a test. very informative.

As soon as I write this I hope I do not regret it! I cut several times per week year around. I firmly believe in PPE (personal protective equipment) however, I do not use chaps unless it is required by customer. I am not saying I am never going to have an accident or I am a pro so I do not need chaps. I am making a statement that I do not use them unless required. I will also say that I am way slower and direct about what I do. I have problems with the way they interfere with my harness in the tree and I feel unable to move as well as I can without them. This is not a condemnation of the use as I said before but I just do not use them. I keep the saw away from my body, never cut unless I am completely stable, and pay attention to reactive forces IE: kickback, pull in, push back, and the gyroscopic effect of the saw running and goosing the throttle. I do highly recommend the use of chaps, eye & ear, gloves and hard hat. The hard hat has saved my head several times. I am also glad the incident was not worse! :gulp:

RNLA said:
As soon as I write this I hope I do not regret it! I cut several times per week year around. I firmly believe in PPE (personal protective equipment) however, I do not use chaps unless it is required by customer. I am not saying I am never going to have an accident or I am a pro so I do not need chaps. I am making a statement that I do not use them unless required. I will also say that I am way slower and direct about what I do. I have problems with the way they interfere with my harness in the tree and I feel unable to move as well as I can without them. This is not a condemnation of the use as I said before but I just do not use them. I keep the saw away from my body, never cut unless I am completely stable, and pay attention to reactive forces IE: kickback, pull in, push back, and the gyroscopic effect of the saw running and goosing the throttle. I do highly recommend the use of chaps, eye & ear, gloves and hard hat. The hard hat has saved my head several times. I am also glad the incident was not worse! :gulp:

Harness in a tree.........WOOHOO! I can see that heck your going to take it in the upper body anyway. Love watching climbers. Really a tough job there.

I bought my first :red: pair about a month ago.

My bi+ches:

1)Size - the longest Stihl they had were 36". They are still too short :mad:

2)Unless I got um on upside down or sumpin, you cannot pee without takin' um off!!

But, like MMaul, the first time I nic um I'll prolly think they're worth their weight in gold.

For a guy like me that likes to work alone, I find it amazing - in a good way - that that many guys could come together never having worked together b4, and no one get hurt.

Rock on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.