The '30 is in, the ASW is out...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJF1313

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2009
Pine Barrons, L.I., NY

Since I missed out on last years clearances, I jumped on it this year.
Of the (3) local H.D.'s, only one had 2 left in stock. Their price was $1199.
I printed a copy of the Watertowns' internet price, with free shipping, and
they matched it.

This was last Friday, (my Tuesday of the week), so it sat under-cover in
the driveway 'till this morning. On Monday, Rockford Chimney Supply delivered
the pipe I order Friday evening - talk about fast service!

So, this morning I decided to attack the beast(s) and do the swap. Cleaned the
ash and sand out of the Huntsman, disassembled the stove pipe from it's rear
outlet up to the Class-A/Ceiling support box. And out to the driveway it went; along
with half my back.

Un-crated the Englander 30-NCH. Took the door off, and all the side brick out, and
the clean-out plug and small bricks. Maneuvered it off the skid/pallet and on to the
hand truck.

Got it all in,put back together and piped at around 1300, and set the first break-in fire.
I didn't start like the Huntsman did, and started to get a little nervous - what the heck
did I just do! After a little coaxing, (leaving the door latched, but not locked tight) it took
off. At around 250°F , it started smoking; to be expected; and topped out at around 300.
Let it cool down; didn't take long in a 20 degree shop; and re-started her at around 1800.

So far, so good. I'm just shy on chimney height, about 14' total length, so tomorrow,
I'll stop at Lowes and get another 3' section of Class-A.

The only (3) gripes I have are :

1) The dang EPA sticker that they had on the door, the never gonna get me off glue is still
there. Maybe after a couple of good hot burns, it'll be gone, or I'll scrape it off.

2) Why did they paint the skid when they painted the stove? It was good kindling, but it'll
be just as good to put my splits on.

3) THEY MAY BE A BRICK PLACEMENT ERROR in their manual.
My stoves' BoD is 11/10. The first brick on the right hand side; closest to the door latch;
had the upper right side cut at about a 30 deg. angle. It doesn't specify this in the manual,
but be aware if you remove the bricks from the stove to move or clean it.

PICS - so it did happen . . . .

EDIT - All you '30 owners - where do you put your stove-top thermometer?
I have the Rutland centered on the lower section, and the Simpson centered, but about
2" away from the stove pipe on the upper.
Thanks,
P.J.

Attachments

• 100_0023.jpg
    100_0023.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 100_0024.jpg
    100_0024.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 100_0026.jpg
    100_0026.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 340
  • 100_0027.jpg
    100_0027.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 340
Congratulations, I hope you are as happy with yours as I have been with mine.

I find w/ my IR gun that the hottest place on the stove top is on the lower section right near the step, centered left to right.

pen

Break in fires in a steel stove???

wkpoor said:

What's the harm in it?

pen

That brick on the right front is that way so that it doesn't tangle with the door latch.

Most the stove manufacturers paint the skid, cause the stove is mounted to it when they paint the stove. Its overspray from painting the stove.

was the stove manageable to move when you had all the guts out? My 13 has that brick the same.

pen said:
wkpoor said:

What's the harm in it?

pen
First fire in the Elm I went straight to 850 and let er roar.hehehe Actually the burn in was done at the mfg for me so I would not stink up the house.

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals..

pen - I'll try that spot later today. I'm off until Sunday, then I'll borrow the IR themo from
work and do some hunting on better spots.

wkpoor - The stove sat for just about a week outside under a tarp.
During that time, we had our typical "spring" weather- temps from the lower
teens to the mid 50's, about 3/4" of rain, and 3 fog warnings. I didn't want any
bricks to explode. It did happen to me when I first started using the Huntsman,
but it was sitting a lot, years, longer, and I didn't know any better.
(Read - didn't know that Hearth dot com existed! ;-) )

Brother Bart - That makes sense, in afterthought. I just thought that they would have it designated
in the lay-out/parts break down better. The older I get, the less of a rush I'm in taking
things apart, and trying to remember how the went back together. :shut:

Hogwildz - I understand that. It was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. Like I said, another
skid to stack more wood on.

Kathleen - I figured that it couldn't hurt, and I didn't want the door to accidentally swing open (Murphy
is usually not too far from me!) I did leave the pedestal mount on, used the cardboard cover
they shipped it in, a 700lbs hand truck and a 750lbs 1inch wide cargo strap. Rock-walked the
stove off of the skid until it was balanced on the edge of it, the slid the hand trucks' lip under
the pedestal on the back of the stove. Tipped the stove forward slightly, put a piece of cardbord
between the rear heat shield and the hand truck. Then used the tie-down around the upper part
of the stove - between the upper hinge and the top plate. Being over weight kinda helped me
get the stove balanced on the hand truck, and away I went.
I didn't have any steps to deal with, but a rutted up stone driveway to the shop made for some
interesting one-wheel times. I'm still not sure if I'll leave the pedestal on, or put the legs on.
Remember, it's in a shop and I don't care about looks, just function. I already took the "gold"
edges off the top plate and ember plate. If I could get black or stainless steel "springs" for the
door handle and air control lever, I would.

I would have respond last night to your question, but I spent too much time in the shop watching and listening
to the 30. That, and the adult beverages went down rather quickly and what I typed then didn't much make
sense to me, no less all of you.

Thanks,
P.J.

Brother Bart knows the sweet spot for the thermometer. That's the same place I found by monitoring the 30 with my ir gun. I also noticed on the sides above the brick where the brick doesn't cover will get high temps also. Its interesting to see the temperature differences on the top just inches apart the temps will very 100 - 200 deg. Have fun with the new 30. I am very happy with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.