The Garden has Officially been Started!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Last night I put out the cold weather plants... lettice, spinach and such.

I started the onions and okra for later this Spring!

Woohoo! Fresh veggies soon!

Matt

By thurs. I'll be right with ya! Gotta get through one more day of classes and then I can finally get to work on that garden and all those piles of splits.

I need to build another rack or two before I do any more splitting. When I split it, I want it off the ground and drying. I looked at the pile of waiting rounds a bit yesterday and figured I need to get going on those new racks. I don't want to be caught with too little wood this coming winter.

Matt

The lettice and basil have already started to push their way out of the soil!

Time to get those gardens started!

Matt

I just ordered a garden for my front yard and I'm anxiously awaiting Mid-May when it should arrive and I can plant it (my zone). Last year I grew a couple sacrificial crops in my front yard after having 2 lawn attempts fail on me. Those crops were a great experience. I spent my summer frequently on the porch watching it have dragon flies, bees, birds, toads, animals and the nights listening to crickets. I never knew what it was going to bring in next. I'm not interested in growing a lawn now, they seem boring in comparison. Last year I also got some extra seed from a friend who purchased one of the wildflower seed mixes in a bucket and filled a good sized section of my property that had good dirt. My wife thoroughly enjoyed that, there must've been 50 different types of flowers in it, all different times all different colors she'd go out with her vases and snips making interesting flower arrangements and passing them on to friends or decorating the whole house. I also saw my neighbor has a bush that attracted butterflies like magnets, but my neighbors are never home so I couldn't ask them what it was. I went through all sorts of sites that had pictures of different bushes trying to figure it out. In 2 months and probably 30 hours of research I found it! It's called a "butterfly bush". I nearly kicked myself, I ordered a dozen different butterfly bushes.

I hate lawns, enjoy watching the life going on in a garden, and my wife likes flowers so I went to http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/specials.html and ordered pretty much every one of their preplanned gardens and everything they had on special figuring that will be a start. I can't wait for it to come in, I know because they're perenniels many will be growing roots the first year but can't wait anyway to get my hands dirty. Good luck with your garden!

I don't think we'll do much of a garden this year. Probably some tomato plants and peppers, maybe a few herbs in a container on or near the deck.

On the subject of splitting though, I did split about two cords of wood today. It felt really good to get out and get some ready to stack. The only problem is that I may fall asleep in my beer after all of that work.

I didn't know those existed! I'll have to keep them in mind for the future. I have a pile of rounds in a spot that would make a great little flower garden.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.