Weight Loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After being good throughout the winter, I started some bad habits snack wise at night. I went from 218 to 227.2 before I put the brakes on.

This morning was my 71st day with the scales weighing me in at 199.4. My goal was 200 but I decided that my last day on the diet will be July 10th, hopefully I can make 195 but getting through 199 has been tough.

I've been on the treadmill twice a day ( a few weeks three times per) for 12 to 15 minutes per session each day once I hit 214. I usually lose more weight when washing our vehicles or getting behind the push mower than on the treadmill. Once I'm done this, hopefully I just maintain a certain weight.

I've been eating lots of wraps with lettuce, onions, roasted red bell peppers and pepperoncinis. I have been eating some steak but mostly chicken off the grill in the middle and the end of the week. I will continue to have wraps with all the other stuff once this is over.

Excellent job!

I’ve been fighting injuries this year and gained some weight due to inactivity. Its recently started to come off again. It’s a trend I’d like to see continue.

Congrats! Same here. I put on 23 lbs. after I broke 3 ribs and stopped smoking (again!) last October. I'm now almost 9 months off the cigarettes, down the 23 lbs. and going for more weight loss. Believe me, I can afford to take a few more lbs. off. I did it by cutting out all candy, cookies, pie, cake, ice cream, etc. Haven't had any since January. Also doing intermittent fasting. Eating much better and feeling good.

I dropped 25 pounds since March and am down to my weight of 30 yrs ago. It feels good. However, after returning from a trip back east I came down with a nasty flu that I am still recovering from. I dropped another 5 pounds due to loss of appetite when I didn't really want to. Had a couple extra slices of pizza Friday night to help add some calories.

Excellent job!

I’ve been fighting injuries this year and gained some weight due to inactivity. Its recently started to come off again. It’s a trend I’d like to see continue.
Thanks.

My original goal was 200 which I hit but since the rains with all the smoke we've had cut down on my c/s/s, the weight isn't coming off but I'll keep it going with my last day being July 10th.

I can understand the weight gain after some injuries, a few years I had a operation that kept me from any activity for around five weeks, not real bad but I did put on some weight.

I had to change my eating habits if the weight was going to come off and the treadmill did help me get through 214 but so far 199 has been like hitting a stone wall.

I just had a wrap with all the trimmings with the last of the chicken salad. Supper will be a bowl of Cheerios, just getting through 199 would make feel better.

This morning the scales said 200.2 on my 72 day. I'll need a different CD playing, it seems like Dean Martin was good for a five pound loss but I'll get ZZ Top back on for the final push.

Reactions: tlc1976
Congrats! Same here. I put on 23 lbs. after I broke 3 ribs and stopped smoking (again!) last October. I'm now almost 9 months off the cigarettes, down the 23 lbs. and going for more weight loss. Believe me, I can afford to take a few more lbs. off. I did it by cutting out all candy, cookies, pie, cake, ice cream, etc. Haven't had any since January. Also doing intermittent fasting. Eating much better and feeling good.
Nice job @Dan Freeman , great getting off the smokes, congratulations. Losing 23 got to feel nice even if you're planning on more.

I won't do ice cream tonight (Sunday is our night) ice cream we would have about three times a week but cut that out over a year ago.

I'm looking forward to eating a better meal but still will cut out bigger meals during the week, during the Holiday seasons we cook but the food was never a big problem, the snacks at night were.

I'll continue the treadmill until July 11 then take a small break and then do 12 or 15 minute session in the morning unless I'm working outside and then it will be at night.

I dropped 25 pounds since March and am down to my weight of 30 yrs ago. It feels good. However, after returning from a trip back east I came down with a nasty flu that I am still recovering from. I dropped another 5 pounds due to loss of appetite when I didn't really want to. Had a couple extra slices of pizza Friday night to help add some calories.
It feels good doesn't it, when I started seeing my wife back in 1992, my weight was 185. If I finish at 200, that will be a weight loss of 27.2 for me, not the most I ever lost (32 pounds is....twice) so maintaining a certain weight from what I finish at will be my next goal I set.

It's been a while since I had the flu but do remember losing weight when I did have it bad. When I had walking pneumonia, I lost about 10 pounds, the doctor allowed me half a days work and then home for rest, I was single had the time so my parents would bring over food and one neighbor was always bringing me soup or meatballs.

That pizza should put some pounds on, how's the flu?

It's the first time I have had the flu in well over a decade. Picked up something back in NY or MA. Not fun. I'm over the worst but still have a lot of nose draining and some coughs.

I did sixteen minutes on the treadmill, incline started out at 2.5 and then ended on 3.5, the treadmill speed started at 2.5 but quickly had that at 2.9 and then 3.0 but finished at 3.2 for 101 calories burned for that session.

The ZZ Top CD definitely will get you moving compared with ole Deano.

The afternoon treadmill session didn't happen but I just did 20 minutes at various speeds and different inclines (finished at 3.5) for a total of 126 calories. Dean Martin was the choice for music, The Capitol Years.

Supper stayed the same, two bowls of Cheerios but me skipping ice cream didn't happen, it was a smaller bowl, that will be my last until July 16th.

July 4th we'll be having chicken from the grill and then pretty much after that my crazy diet will really kick in, hopefully the wall (199) can be broken through.

Congratulations to those who have lost -- or are losing -- weight!

In 2018, I lost about 30 pounds. My doctor put me on the Mito diet for inflammation, not for weight loss. But I lost weight, anyway. If I remember correctly, I lost all that weight in about a month and a half.

The Mito diet is a keto diet, and I would recommend a keto diet to almost anyone wanting to lose weight (I don't think the Mito diet is necessarily better than other keto diets). I do not have to eat less than I want, and I am not hungry all the time, as with many other diets. I suspect some people would miss carbohydrates, but for some reason, I don't.

I remain on my diet and have maintained my lower weight. I weigh less, now, than I did when I graduated from high school (nearly a half century ago). (I was not heavy at 18 years old, either.) Dieting needs to be a change in lifestyle, not something we do to lose some weight so we can return to abusing ourselves, again.

I was 120 in high school. Stayed that way until I was 24 and my kid was in the “incubator”, I put on the weight that she didn’t. Got up to like 160 and felt lethargic. I pretty much settled down at 150.

Then at 42 I needed bowel surgery. After that I dropped 2-3 pants sizes and something like 15 lbs. I had been having teeth problems and wanted to slow down decay, so I cut out most sugar and dropped another 10. So for the last several years I’ve been around 125, and the same 29 waist I was back then.

It helps eating things that work for my system, which is mostly plant based. I like canned vegetables because I won’t eat fresh ones fast enough to make it worthwhile before they go bad, and constant shopping trips aren’t worth it. Well they are making several with no salt added, so that’s what I get. Too much sodium messes with me and makes me feel really nasty. No added sugar either.

The small bowl of ice cream packed on some weight, 200.2 before and 200.4 this morning. ;lol

Congratulations to @River and @tlc1976 , those are some impressive numbers on the weight loss.

Nice job and congratulations.

As you've discovered, over the years I've come to a realisation that weight loss has little to do with exercise (though not nothing) and hinges more on diet. Which is good in my opinion, as sticking to an appropriate diet is much easier than sticking to an exercise routine.

However, the benefits of exercise on your body are countless and doing regular resistance and cardio vascular work is necessary and a nice complement to a good diet.

Tom.

Nice job and congratulations.

As you've discovered, over the years I've come to a realisation that weight loss has little to do with exercise (though not nothing) and hinges more on diet. Which is good in my opinion, as sticking to an appropriate diet is much easier than sticking to an exercise routine.

However, the benefits of exercise on your body are countless and doing regular resistance and cardio vascular work is necessary and a nice complement to a good diet.

Tom.
Agree, 95% diet.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
For sure. Diet and timing. As we age, most of us are burning fewer calories. I found that I could go comfortably on 1200 cal/day diet easily enough that it became habit and I was losing about 2 pounds a week and reached my target of 150# fairly easily. A big change was timing. I used to snack with a beer or wine around 5pm. Now I eat dinner at about 5 or 6 pm and don't snack. Next will be the trick of finding how much I can add without gaining weight. I think my balance point is somewhere around 1500 or 1600 calories a day.

I have elected to check in. My observation is there is no single "one size fits all" approach to weight loss. I have observed some trends.

FWIW I am a 27 year RN. As a new grad I was the only male RN many of my colleagues had ever seen. I recall (with some auld lang syne) my colleagues smoking at the nurse's station and tipping their ashes into ashtrays with hospital logos engraved in the bottom of the bowl while maintaining spotless white clothing. Non filtered Pall Malls were quite popular back in the day, with non-filtered Camel a close second. They (we) used to measure our coffee consumption in pots daily rather than cups daily. We have come a long way for sure, I recall telling my neighborhood watch captain that I needed to resign from regular patrols for nursing school and he took the time to ascertain I was going to be a male nurse at the end of my schooling. I know more about the monthly female cycle and more about childbirth than any man should ever be subjected to. I surpassed my lifetime limit for baby shower attendance around Y2K, but have been cleaning up on the office pools for when the new baby will actually arrive for about 10 years now. Not enough to buy a nice boat, but I can take my wife to dinner a couple times annually on my winnings.

So here is what I know/ have observed:
1. If you elect and follow a life style change that will eventually shed the pounds, and then just live the new lifestyle, the pounds will come off. If you are totally sedentary and start walking say one mile a day five nights per week and want to weigh 135# , you can look up the daily calories you need, limit your self to those calories, put the steps in 5 nights per week, and you will weigh 135# eventually, with the well established good habits you need to keep the pounds off.
2. Whatever diet you choose to follow, if "The Diet" cuts out all processed food you have a fighting chance.
3. There is no "One Plan to Rule Them All". Some folks can keep going to fast food five nights per week and lose the pounds by going to the gym. Some folks can start eating organic vegan, skip the gym, and lose the pounds. Most of the people I know that have succeeded got there by doing some of both.
4. There is no working shortcut that I know of. If you go on the broccoli/water/cheese/quinoa diet planning to drop
30# in two months it might work, but those 30# are going to bring friends with them when they go back on during month three.
5. Having an accountability partner is clearly a key component for many folks. They just can't do it themselves, but when Katie is in competition with Kathy to stick to whatever plan, often they both do well.
6. If you look, you can easily find people that lost weight while eating keto/vegan/pescatarian blah blah. The only useful data in the set is that individuals (you are one of those) have to find the food plan that works for themselves/ yourself.
7. If you get short of breath (or have meaningful joint pain) walking down your driveway to check your mailbox, you should initiate a weight loss plan under the supervision of your medical provider.
8. If you just can't figure it out yourself, among the various commercial products I ( no financial relationship) am mostly a fan of the weight watchers brand approach. #1 vegetables are "free," zero points. If you don't want to be a frequent flyer at your local hospital, the top two things you can do are to stop smoking and start eating vegetables, lots of vegetables. #2 The other good thing I observe about the WW organization is the support group aspect. When my charge nurse checked the ER census this afternoon at 4 PM we had three frequent flyers in the ER as potential admits to our floor, with their various primary complaints as 'same old, same old.'

Lifestyle change is hard. Most people benefit from being around folks going through the same lifestyle hurdles. As a nursing student I had to go to three support groups, and one of those had to be AA. I came home from my AA meeting feeling like the regulars had substituted coffee, talking and cigarettes in place of alcohol, but it was a net benefit for them in their situations. The memorable one for me was an evening meeting for kids with juvenile diabetes, the "sugar free gang." The JD kids played basketball together for about 45 minutes at the beginning of the meeting, just like regular kids. Then they all sat down at a big table and they all checked their blood sugar levels. Instead of being freaks, they were all checking their blood sugars together like it was a normal thing to do, then they started comparing to see who got the lowest number. These were 9-14 years old each, I remember one kid shouting "36 mg/dL" and I sharted a little bit. He was asymptomatic and was clearly relishing the soda pop he needed in the moment, but I said a little prayer of thanks to King Jesus in the moment I was wearing blue jeans instead of nursing whites.

You can do this. It is not easy. Good luck and best wishes.

Well put. We never got on the fast food train, so that was not a hurdle. And we make most stuff from scratch and just buy quality basics for the most part. (Costco's dark chocolate coconut almonds were an exception). Due to genetically high-cholesterol my diet for years has been low fat. The main lifestyle change was cutting out snacks and changing the timing of eating. Dietwise, nothing really changed except that during the weight-loss period, I cut out lunch. Now lunch is back and the pounds so far are staying off. I eat the same foods, just fewer snacks and only one glass of wine or beer instead of two.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Since last night was a regular type supper night, I decided that it would be a night off the weight loss tracks, After supper and walking the dog, it was time for pudding (I promised the wife that two bowls of what she made I would eat) after the pudding was a small bowl of ice cream and then some chocolate bars with a few glasses of milk...... m & m's with another glass of milk for a weight gain of 3.4 pounds.

Today it was back to a wrap with lettuce, onions and some hot pepper rings. My first session on the treadmill was 15 minutes and 19 seconds for a calorie loss of 100 according to the treadmill readout. A second session will happen after I walk the dog tonight.

Last summer when I saw the doctor my weight was 228.4, I plan on being 200 or less this year. My blood pressure last summer was 115/75, we'll see what it is this year since I've been on the treadmill for about two months lately.

Soon I'll start back up on the firewood work, that will help burn some calories.

Just got off the treadmill, 16 minutes with 106 calories burned.

Was it a false reading? On July 5th I weighed in at 204, yesterday I had the same type of wrap I've been eating and just an apple with a granola bar for supper, this morning the scales said 199.8

That's a loss of 4.2 pounds in a day which sounds strange, since I've been on the weight loss journey, I've never lost that much in a day, we'll see what that scale reads tomorrow morning.

I did more time on the treadmill on my first session, just over 20 minutes, 134 calories and a little over 1 mile. My lowest weight was 199.2, I will get through that wall before I see the doc and if the old frame is feeling ok later, I'll do the same amount of time on the treadmill.

I had two bowls of Cheerios tonight for supper before the workout.

20 minutes and 14 seconds for my 2nd session, just over 1 mile with 146 calories burned. I went at a higher speed and incline for the second session, back to ZZ Top for this session.

I haven't listened too Canned Heat in a few months so we'll get that on the CD/Laser Disc player tomorrow for the second session.

Hopefully the scales read less tomorrow morning than the day before.

@thewoodlands , it is best to weigh yourself at the same time everyday. Local we weigh all the hospital inpatients that need to be weighed at 0500. The vast majority of them still have yesterday's poop stick on board, and they tend to go pee as soon as they get off the scale. And it sucks to be woken up at 0500, just another reason to get your health under control before I have to do it for you.

But, swinging up to 5 pounds daily could be just a pee and poop thing, therefore 0500 for inpatients. Your most repeatable daily weight will be the moment you wake up, before going to the bathroom, and naked as a jaybird.

I would also mention intermittent fasting as a dietary tool that does work for some people and may or may not work for whoever is reading this in the future. My doctor does not want me to try to fast on work days, but on my days off I try to fast for 16 hours at a time, basically by skipping breakfast. Intermittent fasting does work for some people, there is no good reason to expect it to work for everyone.

Yes, my weight can change by 5 lbs easily. Depending on how much I ate or drank, how long it’s been since I peed or pooped.
And that’s still with a constant no clothes on when I’m ready for the shower. When doctors tell me to step on the scale with my coat and steel toe boots on, I’m like ok whatever.

I’m a believer in weighing yourself often. Yes you’ll see the fluctuations, but you’ll also see the trends and (hopefully) be able to make sense of both, and learn what works and what doesn’t. IMO more data to work with is good. I see people weigh themselves once a week or two or whatever. And if they catch a low point followed by high point, they feel like it’s been all that work for nothing and give up.

I am not a firm believer in weighing myself often.

I am a firm believer in making the lifestyle choices that will get me to my target weight, and sticking to the choices. I weigh every two weeks, when I remember. I work (12 hour shifts) 3 on, 3 off, 3 on. I weigh at the end of the 6/6 shifts right before I have 5 days off, between 4-6 PM.

I do obsess on sticking with the choices that will let the weight come off. I do not obsess on the weight, and sure enough, the weight is coming off, about one pound per week, but I have the habits that will keep it off.

This is another area where we are each individuals. If you (future reader) need to weigh daily to keep yourself accountable, don't let me stand in your way. I am trying to limit my daily added sugar intake to 24 grams (got it) and my daily 'bad' fat intake to 60 grams. My battle is keeping my 'bad' dietary fats under 60 grams. So I fight the fat battle daily and let the every two week weigh in let me know how I have done/ have been doing.

I am going to eat some ice cream. I am going to eat some corn finished beef ribeye. If Ben and Jerry's ever come up with ribeye (or bacon) ice cream I am screwed like a royal poodle.