Weight Loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This morning after coffee I did 22 minutes, 1.13 miles with 140 calories burned. The music was changed to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Innyrds.

I plan on two more sessions on the treadmill today with the next one cut back to 15 minutes.

The scales read 201.2 this morning.

Thanks for the replies, I haven't done fasting but have a neighbor who has done it, that neighbor has lost 40 plus pounds and feels a heck of a lot better.

My goal was 200 (hit that) but since 199 has been that wall I haven't broke through, that is my next small goal.

sounds like you got the diet part figured out

Treadmill is great for the cardiovascular system, but a pretty inefficient way to lose weight. Your body may respond by becoming more metabolically "efficient" which is the opposite of what you want. Could consider some weight training: heavy loads and low reps under a barbell do wonders to add muscle mass which burns calories even post-workout.

Reactions: thewoodlands
14 minutes 57 seconds on the treadmill for a calorie burn of 100. The plan is for another 20 minute session this afternoon.

sounds like you got the diet part figured out

Treadmill is great for the cardiovascular system, but a pretty inefficient way to lose weight. Your body may respond by becoming more metabolically "efficient" which is the opposite of what you want. Could consider some weight training: heavy loads and low reps under a barbell do wonders to add muscle mass which burns calories even post-workout.
I never liked lifting when I was young so I won't start. I will do some curls with some weights but that's about it.

After July 10, I'll continue with the treadmill but only once a day for 12 minutes. I'll be doing a better job on calorie counting too.

My plan is staying between 200 & 210, I feel better when working outside on firewood or trails.

The last four days of my weight loss diet, I'm calorie counting. Today was a wrap with Hellman's Mayonnaise, lettuce and some hot pepper rings. I'll say 700 calories which is more than what it actually is.

Supper will be another hot tomato salad with half a wrap for dunking in the juice. One large tomato should be around 33 calories, the extra virgin olive oil we use is 120 calories per tablespoon, I'll figure 4 tablespoons for 480 calories, add 110 calories for half a wrap for a total of 623.

The treadmill sessions will be over 300 calories burned but I'll use 300 for today so that will leave me at 1023 calories for today.

If all this doesn't get me under 199, I'm not sure what will.

Music / ZZ Top Recycler
15 minutes 03 seconds / Calorie Burn / 101

I never liked lifting when I was young so I won't start. I will do some curls with some weights but that's about it.

After July 10, I'll continue with the treadmill but only once a day for 12 minutes. I'll be doing a better job on calorie counting too.

My plan is staying between 200 & 210, I feel better when working outside on firewood or trails.
I felt the same way about lifting weights, but there's no denying it burns more calories than cardio

There is a bit of "voluntary hardship" mindset to weightlifting, but if you're voluntarily processing cords of firewood, you've already got the right mindset!

We bought a low end treadmill during the bug deal. Super simple machine. This was after having a loaded model that nearly required a crane to get it in and out of the basement. The high end model died.
I normally "walk" 30 minutes to start. I take a break and drink a fair amount of water. My second session can easily go for a hour if not more. My wife thinks I am nuts!
I setup a TV and a Kindle holder. Bingo. Amazing how long I can go if occupied.
The real benefit for me is how much better I feel overall from the walking. I swear it helps with your overall agility and I sleep much better as well.
Weight loss is nice also.

I started out 227.2 on 4/15/23, this morning the scale read 199 ( a new low ) for a weight loss of 28.2 pounds.

Since it was a new low for me, I used the push mower and did the yard around the house, I'm hoping with that workout and one 12 minute session on the treadmill, that will drop my weight below 199.

Three more days and the diet is over but I will continue counting calories and one 12 or 15 minute session on the treadmill per day.

Reactions: Farmchuck
We bought a low end treadmill during the bug deal. Super simple machine. This was after having a loaded model that nearly required a crane to get it in and out of the basement. The high end model died.
I normally "walk" 30 minutes to start. I take a break and drink a fair amount of water. My second session can easily go for a hour if not more. My wife thinks I am nuts!
I setup a TV and a Kindle holder. Bingo. Amazing how long I can go if occupied.
The real benefit for me is how much better I feel overall from the walking. I swear it helps with your overall agility and I sleep much better as well.
Weight loss is nice also.
We have plenty of walking trails but the deer fly are bad and when it's really hot out, the basement temp is usually 66 which makes the workout nice.

Reactions: Farmchuck
So far today my calorie intake is 1503, it should be higher but I'll wait until I see what the scale reads tomorrow morning.

I mowed the lawn today for over two hours for my workout, they say with a push mower you burn between 350 - 450 calories an hour, I'll use the 350 for a total of 700 calories burned.

The push mower and working up a good sweat yesterday pushed me through my wall (199) this morning the scales read 196.8 on my 79th day.

Once I hit 200 my goal was 195 but was having a tough time getting through 199 so since the scales read 196.8 it was another 2 plus hours behind the P/M today. Hopefully tomorrow morning, I'll be 195 plus or less.

Today and Monday are my last two days on this weight loss journey, I should've been counting calories a long time ago.

My neighbor has been counting cals since they started losing weight (32 pounds) they told me about it and members on here.

So far my calorie intake today has been 1110, I'm not sure what supper will be but I'm out of tomatoes so no hot salad. Maybe it will be a bowl of cereal, we'll see.

Thanks

Last edited:
So far the calorie intake today is at 1360, I'll have a chocolate bar around 7:30 p.m. (200 calories) that will put me at 1560 for today. Yesterday I had a Hershey's Chocolate Bar that upped my calories to 1703.

That is less than yesterday so with the work I put in today, the scales should be showing me a lower number tomorrow morning than today.

That old push mower is some nice exercise, I had on a lightweight base layer on under everything yesterday, I was soaked when I came inside and this morning the scales read 195.0, that's 32.2 pounds off the frame since I started 80 days ago and 1.8 pound loss from yesterday.

Today is my last day on the diet and the most important part starts, the maintain mode.

On day number 81 (my last) the scales read 194.4, that's a loss of 32.8 pounds from what I started at, 227.2 on 4/15/23.

I'm not sure what weight I want to be at but it's more than the 194.4, maybe 200 and see how that goes.

Reactions: woodgeek
I'm at 199.6 since I planned on gaining some back but I'm thinking I'll go back to 197 and then maintain that weight for a time and see how I like it. I'll still be doing the treadmill 3 times a week for 12 minutes per session.

I was over 200 for so long that the old frame didn't feel great at 194.4 but it has been five days since and the frame is getting use to it, that's why I'll try 197.

One site I use gives 2382 calories per day to maintain that weight but I've been eating between 1200 & 1400 lately. The wife did make some Raspberry Blondies so I can't let those go bad.

I'm still eating the wraps with lettuce, hot pepper rings, roasted red bell peppers, mayo with an occasional slice of deli meat for lunch or supper.

With all the rain we've had and received early this morning (0.68) with the humidity, the grass will need mowing again so I'll use the push mower which is a nice workout. I haven't mowed the yard this much since we moved here almost twenty years ago.

The original owner of the property always stayed out of the woods for two days after heavy rain, he always thought the dead or weak chit would fall in those two days, this morning I heard a tree or branch break off on the hill in the back, I'm not sure if it was on the neighbor's property or ours.

I started back up on the treadmill tonight for 20 minutes 21 seconds, 1 mile with 132 calories burned.
My calorie intake was 1380 before the treadmill session, the total for today will be 1248. I would like a weight of 198 by 7/22/2023, this morning it was 199.6.

The scales read 198.4 this morning for a loss of 1.2 pounds from the day before, maybe tomorrow morning the scales will head north.

I have dropped 20 pounds in seven months. I had added weight after I broke my ankle and started last December. I do daily weigh ins. No calorie counting but definitely made diet changes. My weight can fluctuate 3 pounds over a couple of days so I look at the trend of loss. I have another 5 pounds to get to a target in early September and then see what sort of target to set after that. I am now in territory I have not seen in decade or two and its lot harder.

I have dropped 20 pounds in seven months. I had added weight after I broke my ankle and started last December. I do daily weigh ins. No calorie counting but definitely made diet changes. My weight can fluctuate 3 pounds over a couple of days so I look at the trend of loss. I have another 5 pounds to get to a target in early September and then see what sort of target to set after that. I am now in territory I have not seen in decade or two and its lot harder.
Congratulations. I had never did any calorie counting until my neighbor talk to me about it, I should've done it earlier in my weight loss.

I have alway carried a extra weight even when hiking the AT in sections. I have tried the various diets and figured out what works and does not work. Counting calories does not work for me.

I have alway carried a extra weight even when hiking the AT in sections. I have tried the various diets and figured out what works and does not work. Counting calories does not work for me.
I haven't been doing it that long so we'll see how it works over the long run.

Reactions: peakbagger
Cutting out sugar is working for me. I still get it from whole fruits but no more refined sugar or fruit juices especially the fake ones and sodas. I do drink watered down grape juice like 5 or 6 water to 1 grape juice. sometimes. It used to be like a 32 oz bottle of grape juice or the like every 2 days or less! That's way to much sugar. Quitting It Was super hard to do but after 2-3 weeks your body changes and stops craving the sugar. That's the key, To walk right by the juices, sodas, candy bars and ice cream and not even want it. What a strange feeling Haaaa!, but my body is feeling much better. I never had weight problems, but sleep and heart flutters and inflammation issues drove me to do it. Body seems more steady now. And shed some pounds as well.

Last edited:
Bread is my food to avoid.

Cutting out sugar is working for me. I still get it from whole fruits but no more refined sugar or fruit juices especially the fake ones and sodas. I do drink watered down grape juice like 5 or 6 water to 1 grape juice. sometimes. It used to be like a 32 oz bottle of grape juice or the like every 2 days or less! That's way to much sugar. Quitting It Was super hard to do but after 2-3 weeks your body changes and stops craving the sugar. That's the key, To walk right by the juices, sodas, candy bars and ice cream and not even want it. What a strange feeling Haaaa!, but my body is feeling much better. I never had weight problems, but sleep and heart flutters and inflammation issues drove me to do it. Body seems more steady now. And shed some pounds as well.
I was never a big soft drink guy, I do have a few squirt soft drinks during the summer when visiting one of the graves, my grandfather on my mother's side always had some when we came back from the farm so I always have one when I bring the flowers up and another when I take them off.

I do have one glass of O.J. in the morning and some apple juice every so often.

I'm still amazed at the amount of soft drink I see in shopping carts these days.

I had more calories today, 1485 compared to 1248 yesterday and the only workout was drying out the tarps and covering more wood. I kept waiting for a dry stretch but that never really happened so we have plenty of seasoned firewood covered.