The Heritage is in and it's burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
45 hours remain until the cement in the chimney is dry/set/whatever and I can start burning. Looking forward to it. After this weekend's "warm" temperatures we are back to unseasonably cold weather.

Good for you BrowningBAR. Keep us posted.

Backwoods Savage said:
Good for you BrowningBAR. Keep us posted.

Will do. I will post the obligatory pics when the room is completely done in the next week.

Yea, that must feel really good. Congratulations. Looks like you are going to have a warm holiday.

BeGreen said:
Yea, that must feel really good. Congratulations. Looks like you are going to have a warm holiday.

Thanks BeGreen. Yeah, my chimney installations are finally complete. Feels good.

Okay, first burn started at 7:45am. Took about an hour and 15 minutes to get the stove warm. I am now sitting at just north of 400 degrees and climbing. It's starting to throw some good heat now.

It's going to take a while to warm up that room, but I appear to have some good air flow as I can feel the warm air move up the staircase and the cold air coming down.

So far this is going a lot more smoothly than the first burn* for the Intrepid. I'll take some pictures this weekend when we are done painting and the baseboards are finished.

*Note: These are used stoves, so I am not doing a break-in fire.

According to the manual, with soapstone, the first of the season fire is recommended to be a break in fire.

NORMAL OPERATION
If your stove is not used continuously or has not been used
in quite some time, follow the break-in procedure at least
once to minimize the stress of a hot fire on a cold stove
before proceeding with normal operation. We recommend
one break-in fire at the start of each heating season...

BeGreen said:
According to the manual, with soapstone, the first of the season fire is recommended to be a break in fire.

NORMAL OPERATION

Hmm. I did not see that in the manual. Well... too late for that.

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

NORMAL OPERATION

Sorry to wander into on your message, if I may ask...regarding the note about "Normal Operations" info you recieved....
I'm away from home during the week, returning on weekends, therefore, if I use the heritage stove to warm the house Friday nite- Sunday, (weekends), I'll have to follow the break-in procedure each friday nite when I arrive home? I'll have to review the manual again

Southern Bess said:
BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

NORMAL OPERATION

Sorry to wander into on your message, if I may ask...regarding the note about "Normal Operations" info you recieved....
I'm away from home during the week, returning on weekends, therefore, if I use the heritage stove to warm the house Friday nite- Sunday, (weekends), I'll have to follow the break-in procedure each friday nite when I arrive home? I'll have to review the manual again

I don't think having the stove cold for 3-4 days qualifies as "quite some time". I think you are fine.

It's recommended for cast iron stoves as well. I do this even with our steel stove to drive any moisture out of the firebrick. This is easy when the weather is mild and a little chill chaser fire is all you need.

I have both a heritage and cast iron stove and do "break in" fires every fall.

Congrats on the new to you stove. I like mine. I will be curious how how long of a burn you get per load of wood. I can get my heritage up to 450-475 for a while but I am noticing short burn cycles( I am not usually home for a complete cycle). I am wondering what other owners of the stove are getting.

I replaced my Heritage with a Mansfield just this year. On the Heritage, I was running the stove pretty hard (500F-525F) and my burn times were definitely on the short side. I could only 3 to 4 hours per cycle. I didn't have any trouble doing overnight burns and restarting from coals the next morning, though. On those overnight burns, there weren't a lot of coals after 6-7 hours but there were enough to get the fire going again. The stove top cooled to about 200-250 overnight so the house would get pretty cool.

Loving the stove so far. Still burning the cold out of that part of the house, but it should easily handle it.

Good luck with the new stove Browning.
Just installed a new Fireview.

Congrats hope it works out good for you.

brogsie said:
Good luck with the new stove Browning.
Just installed a new Fireview.

Nice. I nearly bought a Fireview twice. But it wasn't meant to be.

First day of burning the Heritage is nearly complete. Shockingly, no problems to mention. The stove has been incredibly easy to figure out so far. Not much in the way of temperature swings which means I won't have to mess with it much... thankfully.

Once I burned the cold out of that area of the house I was able to have it cruise at 350-400 degrees most of the day and maintain, and in some cases, increase the house temps. It also means the the other two stoves do not have to run hard.

Today was a great test day as we had a high of 25 with the lows in the mid teens with strong winds. That is quite cold for these parts. Now I have it packed full and we'll see what type of overnight burn I get out of it.

johnstra

Wondering why you went with the Mansfield when you had the Heritage? How long does your Mansfield hold a burn? The reason i ask is I have a Mansfield waiting to be installed in a new house.

Dave

johnstra said:
I replaced my Heritage with a Mansfield just this year. On the Heritage, I was running the stove pretty hard (500F-525F) and my burn times were definitely on the short side. I could only 3 to 4 hours per cycle. I didn't have any trouble doing overnight burns and restarting from coals the next morning, though. On those overnight burns, there weren't a lot of coals after 6-7 hours but there were enough to get the fire going again. The stove top cooled to about 200-250 overnight so the house would get pretty cool.

The Heritage wasn't enough stove for my house. I'm heating 2000 sq/ft with high ceilings. The mansfield holds far more wood than the Heritage and it's burn times are much longer. Typical burn cycles are 5-6 hours. Overnight or if I have to leave the house, I can easilly restart from coals after 12 hours.

You're going to love the Mansfield. It puts out a ton of heat.

Good to hear you got that rock warmed up. I wonder if it will temporarily curb your addiction to buying wood stoves? %-P

Todd said:
Good to hear you got that rock warmed up. I wonder if it will temporarily curb your addiction to buying wood stoves? %-P

Of course not. Now I need to upgrade the other two stoves! :lol:

Seriously though, when the install came on Monday we joked around saying "I hope I never see you again".

Good news, pics are required.

I get the advertised burns from the stove. 8 to 9 hours on low which is overnight but honestly only enough coals remain the next day to start the fire from kindling. I burn only low density woods.

I also find the stove easy to operate and slow to heat up. With no cat, the heat source comes from actual combustion and that takes some time to build up steam. I also spend most time cruising in the 350-400 range.

I haven't opened the front door since we started full time burning in mid October. Glass stays clean and the side door is just that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.