The issues with buying used

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Okay, so I got the kind of deal on my Woodstock Keystone that makes you almost want to say to the seller "I should give you another $500 for this stove". But it is a used stove. Last night watching the burn closely with the bypass plate closed to use the combustor, I noticed flames still "seeping" out under the bypass plate. Looking more closely, I noticed that it did not close completely as it should. After speaking with Woodstock today, and opening it up for a closer look, I believe the byplass plate is warped and will need to be replaced. Therefore, when the cat is engaged it is only partially effective. I don't know the price of a bypass plate yet and it really doesn't matter too much given the great price I paid in the first place, but it highlights the types of issues buying used can provide. I know that the previous owners didn't really use this stove to its fullest benefit. When I cleaned out the combustor, it was PACKED with ash, in fact the upstream side between the protective screen and the combutor, was filled with an inch or two of packed ash. No way they could have actually been utilizing the combustor. The bypass plate issue is probably a result of overfiring. The rest of the stove seems fine and the combustor is in fine shape now that its cleaned out since it probably was never utilized much to begin with. But as forum members inquire about this used stove or that, it's important to remember that the operator of the stove is often much more of a wild card effecting quality than the stove model or amount of use is. With the education people get here, not only can they be far more savey buyers, but probably more importantly, they can be wise operators too!

I know on the VC stoves I worked on Usually it was a combination of the bi pass damper plate and the frame getting warped.

My first question is can an oversizes gasket work or is it warped too much and needs replacement

The VC stoves I had to remove the top to get at this damper. Check the frame around the damper plate to see if it is only the damper plate

On the VC stoves that is called the upper fireback assembly the plate and frame it interface

Sorry to hear that it needs repairs

elkimmeg said:
I know on the VC stoves I worked on Usually it was a combination of the bi pass damper plate and the frame getting warped.

My first question is can an oversizes gasket work or is it warped too much and needs replacement

The VC stoves I had to remove the top to get at this damper. Check the frame around the damper plate to see if it is only the damper plate

On the VC stoves that is called the upper fireback assembly the plate and frame it interface

Sorry to hear that it needs repairs
You are most likely right on Elk. Woodstock suggested replacing both the bi-pass damper plate and the frame while I was at it just in case. Their experience is that with prolonged exposure to overfiring temps over time the "warping" often manifests itself as metal expansion instead of twisting or misshaping,; according to the rep I spoke with, sometimes up to 25% increase in size! Therefore the parts no longer fit correctly which is exactly my situation. New frame, bi-pass plate, gasket, some "Break Free" lubricant, a thermometer and shipping comes to $52.00. Not bad IMHO. For anyone considering Woodstock stoves, they have superb customer service, knowlegable, courteous, and friendly. They are an American made product too, always a plus. Metal, I'm no expert on stove repair but I will try to take some pics as I do this. I would expect that some generalities of stove construction may apply, for example, Elk's similar experiences with the VC over firing parts problems being similar. I'm sure there will be some diferences too, but I think it's a good thread topic so I will post as much about the process as possible. As for my feeling guilty about the "STEAL" of a deal I got on this stove, the rep at Woodstock suggested that I consider that I "rescued" this stove since the evidence points to the previous owners really not knowing how to use this stove well and therefore causing abuse to it. That's my perspective from now on so no more guilt :cheese:

JPL, as we've discussed at length, no matter what way you slice it, you got an awesome deal. You could completely rebuild that entire stove and still be $1,000 ahead. Nice work on your find. It will all be worth it!

HI Guys,

I have bought all my stoves used. After you learn a lot about stoves on this forum and from using them, you will know what to look for in a stove when you are about the buy a used one. It is like a car, you, check the fluids, look for misaligned bodyparts, uneven wear on the tires, cleanliness,etc. Same for stoves: check the inerts for warping, check the gaskets, check for rust and fit and finish, etc.

There is nothing wrong with used.

Carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.