The log test TL300!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

Last night I decided to put a whole un-split log in the new TL300 just to see how well it would do it was ash. I put it in at 730pm and woke up at 5am this morning to my amazement it was still there about 95% gone but still there burning! Keeping in mind thats all I put in no other wood but a 7" log and it went 9.5 hours and still had a huge coal bed as well as a little log left. I have never ever gotten that kind of burn time on so small of a load :exclaim: This stove with the proper draft setup is amazing one thing is for sure all the issues seem to vanish as it gets colder out it just keeps getting better.

Pete

Yeah I was splitting my wood small when I first got the stove, but now leave the splits as big as can fit in the stove. It burns longer now. Pat

I do the same thing with my NC30. I have been loading it with large splits at 10 or 11 pm and next morning its nice and toasty even with temps in the teens overnight. Just make sure those bad boys are nice and seasoned or you will be sapping all night long.

Most of this years supply is at least 2 years even a little more I split everything small for the old stove and now its to small for the new stove :lol: I have some big stumps left but not many I am thinking about busting the ash stumps into quarters and thats it cuz my box is 3 cubit ft. What a trip this stove has been amazing, frustrating, annoying and then back to amazing hopefully this won't be repeated and it will stay amazing now that all the kinks are out of the system thanks to this forum and all you awesome people out there.

Pete

I have an entire stack of unsplit limbs approx 6-8" in diameter for the night load.
Rake Coals to the front, load one of these unsplit logs in and you are good to go for the night.

Pete1983 said:
Most of this years supply is at least 2 years even a little more I split everything small for the old stove and now its to small for the new stove :lol: I have some big stumps left but not many I am thinking about busting the ash stumps into quarters and thats it cuz my box is 3 cubit ft. What a trip this stove has been amazing, frustrating, annoying and then back to amazing hopefully this won't be repeated and it will stay amazing now that all the kinks are out of the system thanks to this forum and all you awesome people out there.

Pete

Very typical for your first epa stove. We too had a short learning curve when we got the Fireview. We also like putting in a round when getting ready for the night fire.

Dennis do you only do one round or more ? I only put one in I could have fit 3 or 4 I think its a big box .

Pete

I usually put only one at a time in the stove. The bottom rear is the one that will hold the fire the longest. That is, I slide the coals forward and then place the biggest split or a round in the bottom rear and then fill the stove from there.

Hm I will try it that way this time then granted different stove the fire holds the longest by the glass so I will reverse the order.

Thanks
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.