The Stove Naysayers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think negative comments stem from peoples knowledge of fireplaces and maybe old smoke dragons. Not todays modern wood stoves. Years ago, my dad was here for the first winter visit. It was, 0 outside, the stove was running heating the house as warm as toast. That's that's the only thing heating this house, he said. He was amazed and continued as we ate dinner. He couldn't believe how he smelled nothing, heard nothing and how beautifully the rolling ball of flames was washing the glass. I educated him on how it works. Dad it's sealed, air going in at a controlled rate. He was truly amazed how well it worked. Now this is a guy that's been around since 1932 and has seen a lot of stuff.

As far as dust or ash in the house. Not in our place. We have a ash drawer on the bottom of the stove. It must be 14" X 10" X 2" deep. It holds a decent amount of ash. In 13 years it's all I've used to empty the stove. Not a hint of ash goes anywhere. IMO one of the real nice features of my stove. I hear people here say they don't like ash drawers, or don't use the ones they have, but I don't understand why. It may be the same guys that have no use for a timberjack. That's another rant for another thread. We all listen to and give opinions here, all with the goal to help others get the most from there wood burning experience.

Still burning hear, evening and morning fires this weekend. Normally we do this right to the end of May.

Got to go 2, 8" maples waiting to be bucked up out back.

Last edited:
I would not be a big fan of wood burning if I lived close to someone burning all the time in a fireplace or old smoke dragon, especially if the wood was not seasoned. It's no fun being downwind from a smudge pot.

I have to admit I was one of them. I used to think its dusty smelly, dirty etc. We used to light up our fireplace because we liked the ambiance. Then I figured if I burn the wood at least have some heat out of it instead of loosing it through the fire place and that's why I got my insert. It wasn't intended to heat the house. That was two years ago. Now I am addicted all I talk about is wood, stove, burn times, inside temp. My friend who is a wood burner himself says you are f****d up. All that said wood is a lot of work, you have to enjoy it. I love splitting wood. It relaxes me. Cannot wait to get the stove going even this weekend it was kind a cool in CT
image.jpg
Sorry couldn't resist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woody Stover
@prezes13: Ooooh....you have a nest-brand thermostat! I like the "contradiction" of old school heating with wood and ultra-modern nest thermostat. I know what you speak of- many of my friends are questioning my sanity. I am still burning twice a day in Chicago as the highs are only at 60 degrees and the lows are at 40 degrees. But it is 76 degrees inside!

....and still getting compliments from neighbors about how pleasant the neighborhood smells.

With natural gas prices where they are now compared to 2005 and 2008 peaks I'd be tempted to save my firewood at least while prices are in the cellar.

Course, I just replaced my oil burner three years ago so I don't have the luxury myself.

Lots of people burn wood around here. The only time anyone questions wood heat is because they think we have burn bans all winter. In reality, we have burn bans a few times a year. This last winter it seemed like the bans were no more than a day or two at a time.
I have had people question why I...
-try to get two years ahead on my supply
-spent money to line a perfectly good brick chimney
-leave wood stacked outside before it goes in the shed
-wear chaps while running a saw

Yep, about all we can do is try to educate those we get a chance to talk to.
still burning twice a day in Chicago as the highs are only at 60 degrees and the lows are at 40 degrees. But it is 76 degrees inside....and still getting compliments from neighbors about how pleasant the neighborhood smells.
Yeah, pretty 'stoked' to be able to stoke the stove for several days coming up, with low 60s/ low 40s forecast for our area. That's rarer here this time of year than in Chicagoland. But all I want in the house is about 70. Great weather for sawing by day, burning by night. :cool:

Reactions: RickBlaine
Hi Rick, Here in New England, wood stoves are a way of life for a lot of us. Not having much of a heating bill is the best reason to heat with wood. That and having heat when the power is out, it happens occasionally. I live in an area where there is a large wood stove retail store (I work there) and when I hear someone question why use a wood stove- I gently remind that person that it is a living for some of us. We can't get all the people onboard with wood burning, so I'm happy to settle for getting the smart folks taken care of.

Tell your naysaying friends and neighbors that they are right. It is dirty, smelly, hard work. etc. You don't want competition for all that free wood out there.

Natural gas is every bit just as cheap ($13 per million BTUs) and insanely more convenient. None of the alternative heating sources make sense if you have natural gas. Wood is for people who don't have natural gas, or want ambiance. My house that has natural gas won't get a wood stove. My house that has oil heat will.

If someone suggests Propane over wood, then tell them that Propane is (literally) 6x more expensive. They probably don't know. My mother took out a Jotul and replaced it with a Propane fireplace. She didn't know the fuel was 6x more and God knows the Propane installer didn't tell her. And actually when she did it, Propane was less than 1/2 the price it is now, but still probably 3x the cost of wood.

If you dont have a few people telling you your nuts, then for sure your doing something wrong. I had a friend in the same business as me telling me im doing it all wrong. His business is bankrupt now,glad i didnt listen to him. Dont follow the crowd as the crowd is usually wrong.

Reactions: blacktail
Status
Not open for further replies.