The thing chews through the wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
The fan motor on the heat pump went today. It has been pretty good with electric bills so far in the new house. But, I can't get a new motor til Monday. It is 37 outside and the 9 month old needs to be warm. The stove in the addition to the house heats that area nicely but not the main house. We bought the house with an existing old fireplace insert in main house. I have avoided using because I am not much at ease with the setup. But, now I have no choice. So, the insert is fired and keeping the main house warm with the blower, but it is chewing through the wood. I am monitoring as closely as I can to damper and get longest burn times, but it is still just eating up the wood! I see now why newer, more efficient stoves are so appreciated. If I plan on using this insert this winter, it looks like I will be depleting my father's and father in law's :bug: wood supply.

Trying to heat the main core with the fireplace is going to suck wood right up the chimney. Drag the mattresses into the addition and camp in there with the Shelburne.

The insert throws off the heat nicely. I have not loaded it to capacity yet just because I am not too comfortable with it yet. It is very larger. I am reloading 6 smaller splits about every 2 hours. The other problem is the size of my splits. All my seasoned wood is cut to fit the stove at my old house (I moved most of the wood knowing I would use it) which are about 12-17 inches long. I know I need bigger pieces but I am working with what I got (wife hears that too often :p ). I am just used to getting a solid 5-6 hour burn with our Shelburne.

Move the kid. I had to last year. The little one was a newborn just home from the hospital. Don't worry about the kid. They are tougher than they appear.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.