Themostat problems with Enviro M55 inset

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Stove works great but Tstat problems. Stove was installed with optional Skytech remote Tstat. I could turn turn stove on (in auto or hi/lo) bought could not shut stove down...even after 10-15 min pellets kept dropping. Dealer said there was a (Problem) with this thermostat and they swapped it out for a wired one (Braeburn) and I got my money back! Same problem, so they switched it for a LUX PRO...same problem. Also with all 3 tstat's I don't think the startup is correct. A large amount of pellets drop over a 7-8 min period and approx 9 minutes later the stove starts and I have lots of initial smoke. If I start in manual, I get a small drop of pellets, and my initial flame in 3-4 minutes. I am willing to try my dealer one more time, they seem concerned and want to fix this problem but I question there ability.....? The large drop of pellets and a 9+ minute wait can't be right, is it? One kind person mentioned a particular thermostat that I will look into after I get this problem fixed. I do have a large Energy Coop where I got my pellets and they sell and service stoves and they supposedly have some good techs. If I can find that Enviro tech link again, I will try that...if they answer! Thanks, Bill (haven't tried feed trim 2 yet)

I'm sure some Enviro owners (Jay, where are you??) will be along shortly to try to help, but I'm guessing this is a stove problem, not the stat. The stat is just an on or off switch....that's why all the units produced the same result.

In high/low mode you likely have to turn the stove off at the stove in order to shut it off, it's response to any stat would be to go to the low fire mode if the stat is not calling for heat.

I don't know what the auto mode is all about since I haven't read about that.

SmokeyTheBear said:
In high/low mode you likely have to turn the stove off at the stove in order to shut it off, it's response to any stat would be to go to the low fire mode if the stat is not calling for heat.

I don't know what the auto mode is all about since I haven't read about that.

Correct, and even if you did press the off button at the stove in that situation, the combustion blower would continue to run for at least 15 minutes. Same behavior with auto.

I think his stove may actually be operating correctly and he's not familiar with its operation yet...I must admit I thought ours was malfunctioning when we first tried it out with the thermostat.

When on high low and the thermostat no longer calls for heat the stove goes into low mode until therm calls for heat. you can only shut the stove off manually. When on auto off if you turn thermostat down the stove cycles to low and stays on low for 30 minutes. If there is no call for heat after 30 minutes the stove shuts itself down. if there is a call for heat during that 30 minutes it will cycle back up.

imacman said:
I'm sure some Enviro owners (Jay, where are you??)

Sorry been busy lately, But kykel and jhass have been doing a bang up job. SmokeyTheBear also seems to have things nailed down as well! ;-)

Not me this time Jay, KYKEL got to the answer before me.

boston
One other thing to mention, If you happen to have the stove in shut down mode and turn it back on you will get a lot of pellets and a large fire when it first lights

Will this work?
If not, what is a good option for a basic 7 day programmable?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_11408-74493-RTH221B1000_4294821951_4294937087_?productId=3075425&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Programmable+Thermostats_4294821951_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo;=

I'm also looking for a surge protector?

Thanks

1D

1Dtml said:
Will this work?
If not, what is a good option for a basic 7 day programmable?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_11408-74493-RTH221B1000_4294821951_4294937087_?productId=3075425&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Programmable+Thermostats_4294821951_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo;=

I'm also looking for a surge protector?

Thanks

1D

The program type is only 1. In other words all days are the same program. Most people have 2 schedules. Week and weekend. So to get max benefit, I'd look for something with a 5/2 program(week and weekend). Unless your programs will be the same everyday.

Here's one,

http://www.lowes.com/pd_126338-37422-LTX500E-006_4294821951+4294962887_4294937087_?productId=3338874&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Lux_4294821951+4294962887_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Lux

Thanks so much, and I'm very glad you pointed out, for I assumed that I could program each day.
If the stat you recommended works with this stove than I'm good :cheese:

Any surge protector recommendations?

On a different subject did you ever find the "perfect pellet"?

Thank you so much for the help,

1D

Yuph, I saw that in the instructions.

Perfect pellet?

I can get Okanagan softwood pellets for $310. per ton, and Somerset super premium for $255. per ton.

I need three tons, mix and match?

Thanks again,

1D

1D said:

Perfect pellet?

I can get Okanagan softwood pellets for $310. per ton, and Somerset super premium for $255. per ton.

Thanks again,

1D

That stat is a TX500E same stat I have had for many years! Never an issue! Think I paid about the same price 6+ years ago!

Perfect pellet?

I haven't found it yet, But still looking. ;-) just kidding!

Many recommend the highest joules you can afford. I have a belden. But there are many good ones out there.

Somersets for $255 isn't bad. If the Okies is the full pallet(1.3 tons) that's not bad either. But you really should try both if possible. I try not to suggest pellets. Has gotten me in trouble. Some just don't like what I like. But I'd lean to the Somersets. Or 2 Somersets and 1 Okies.

j-takeman said:
1D said:

Perfect pellet?

Thanks again,

1D

That stat is a TX500E same stat I have had for many years! Never an issue! Think I paid about the same price 6+ years ago!

Perfect pellet?

I haven't found it yet, But still looking. ;-) just kidding!

Many recommend the highest jouls you can afford. I have a belden. But there are many good ones out there.

Somersets for $255 isn't bad. If the Okies is the full pallet(1.3 tons) that's not bad either. But you really should try both if possible. I try not to suggest pellets. Has gotten me in trouble. Some just don't like what I like. But I'd lean to the Somersets. Or 2 Somersets and 1 Okies.

Get some Cubex.

Awesome thanks guys!! :)

1D

Status
Not open for further replies.