There’s your problem right thar! Creosote and the controlled burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wkpoor said:
Scotty Overkill said:
burnout I noticed in your pictures that you do not have a proper roof flashing on your flue pipe, and no storm collar at all! Not to bust yer chops, but you need to have a vented flashing for your flue, if I am not mistaken that is CODE. The class A pipe requires a vented flashing and a storm collar, that definately is not a flashing made for class A pipe. If something does happen (as far as a flue fire) and the insurance co. sees that flashing, you can bet your a$$ they are not gonna cover the claim!!
That looks like the identical roof flashing the dealer sold me for the summer kitchen install. There is no pipe in mine yet but that looks the same.
I have yet to see any class A pipe that is designed to be installed using a non-vented flashing......there is residual heat around that pipe (esp. during an accidental chimney fire/overfire) and the vented flashing is designed to allow free air flow out of the eave/roof exit. Look it up. If the dealer sold you an unvented flashing, he screwed ya! There are cheap alternatives out there for flashing, but is your insurance company going to care that you put on the non-vented one to save a couple bucks? I did see that Olympia sells some non vented flashings, but they are expensive and I am not sure exactly what brands of pipe they are made for. Here's a couple examples of vented flashing designed for most class A pipe:

Attachments

• flashing.jpg
    flashing.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 178
  • flashing2.jpg
    flashing2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 184
fossil said:
oldspark said:
I dont care what stove it is you can burn it dirty under the right conditions.

Or the wrong conditions, depending on how you want to characterize it. ;-)
Yes indeedy it would be the wrong conditions.

I really think the point's been made...so without futher ado (or more undue castigation of the OP)...I hereby declare the issue closed. :mad:

(Yes, I deleted a couple of posts that added no value whatsoever to the thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.