Thermal Glass Breakage in second season of use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkw45

Hearth Supporter
Oct 6, 2010
SW MO
Mid-season last year, I purchased a Pacific Energy True North TN19. I've been loving it, so far. It's a nice, simple, easy to operate stove. It works perfect for our 1700 square foot farmhouse.

On to my question; I got up about 3:30 this morning and put 3 sticks of wood in the stove on a small bed of coals. I sat on the couch and slowly adjusted the air intake as needed. About 5 minutes after I'd adjusted the air to where I normally leave it, I heard a pop similar to a .22 Long Rifle being fired. I looked over at the stove and noticed a cracked near one side running slightly diagonal form top to bottom. It runs from a clamp on the top to an open area on the bottom. I immediately checked to see if a stick of wood had somehow fallen against the glass(unlikely in a N/S load). There was at least 1.5" clearance in the area where it cracked.
The stove top was 525 degrees when this happened, right in the middle of where I normally run it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? The stove is still under warranty, but I wonder if they'll believe this wasn't impact related.

This doesn't sound like an impact issue unless the door was closed up against a split. It could be from an over-tightened glass clamp on the door.

Perhaps it would be worth checking with the company regarding glass replacement?

It has never happened to me before. My stove is 4 years old and I have never had a cracked brick or glass.

Andrew

Thanks for the input, guys.

I do plan on checking with the company and the dealer. Today being Sunday kind of postpones that, though.

I wondered about an overtightened clamp. Searching the forum shows that to be an issue at times. From what I've read, I would have thought that problem would have manifested itself earlier than the second season of use.

I've been burning for over 20 years in a multitude of stoves. This is a new issue to me.

Yes, fortunately is it relatively uncommon.

I wondered about an overtightened clamp. Searching the forum shows that to be an issue at times. From what I've read, I would have thought that problem would have manifested itself earlier than the second season of use.

Just last night I put a thread on here about stove glass, and said that after about 14 years I got a crack in the glass in my stove, and that was about 7 years ago, and that the dealer said "it still shouldn't have cracked" even though a log fell into it. And to crack after that many years is a mystery!

I would also think that the clamp might've been tightened down a little too tight, that's my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.