Thermometer Question - Lopi Declaration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehaag

Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Hales Corners, WI
Second season using Declatation, and I have been using a Rutland thermometer placed inside the firebox (there is a place on the inside where it will attach with the magnet). Do you think this is a adequate way to measure temps?

Thanks in advance.

Ditto the question. I have the fireplace extrodinare.... no idea where to put the thermometer (same stove as the declatartion, just a different grill)

Placing the thermometer inside the firebox just does not seem the right thing to do unless you have one specially made for doing this. One good reason is like on our stove, the manufacturer states that the temperature inside the firebox is double what the stove top reads. So, if we have 650 stove top, that means 1300 inside the firebox. A Rutland won't read that high.

I put a thermometer on top of the fir box of my Declaration. I took the face off. Then I put the thermometer on top of the firebox so that it's visible through the top vent (where the fan blows out). I place it so that the numbers are upside down, otherwise they are further back inside and harder to see. I can't rally read the numbers because they it's too dark, but I know that if the point is pointing out towards me, then it's about hot enough; too far to the left is too hot.

The face comes off easily, just unscrew the bypass and the air inlet control knobs and then lift up while pulling out.

While you have the face off, you should vacuum out all of the ash that the fan has sucked into the bottom vent. And put some hi temperature anti-seize on the air control so that it doesn't squeak so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.