Thermopile replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Neil k

Oct 14, 2023
Troy,NY
Trying to replace thermopile in heat&glo NG fireplace insert. Have logs removed , but can’t figure out how to remove thermopile from pilot assembly

Ok. I tried the “softer/ gentler” way first & cleaned thermocouple & thermopile w/mild sandpiper and cleaned up all around both, but to no avail. I’ll probably pull it apart again tomorrow & as soon as I do I’ll take & post a picture. Thank you

Ok. I tried the “softer/ gentler” way first & cleaned thermocouple & thermopile w/mild sandpiper and cleaned up all around both, but to no avail. I’ll probably pull it apart again tomorrow & as soon as I do I’ll take & post a picture. Thank you
Thermopiles and thermocouples typically have a brass fitting (7/16" I think) that threads up into the pilot assembly bracket.
If you can find where the pilot assembly bracket is attached to the burner, it is much easier to unscrew it, and gently pull it up so that you can get a wrench on it.
I usually replace the whole pilot assembly.

Reactions: SumDumTek
Thermopiles and thermocouples typically have a brass fitting (7/16" I think) that threads up into the pilot assembly bracket.
If you can find where the pilot assembly bracket is attached to the burner, it is much easier to unscrew it, and gently pull it up so that you can get a wrench on it.
I usually replace the whole pilot assembly.
I also usually replace the pilot assembly as a whole, sometimes the thrermocouple swells and wont come out of the assembly.

I also usually replace the pilot assembly as a whole, sometimes the thrermocouple swells and wont come out of the assembly.
Thank you! Took your advice and purchased a whole pilot assembly, Is that easier to replace than just the thermopile alone? Thanks again

Thank you! Took your advice and purchased a whole pilot assembly, Is that easier to replace than just the thermopile alone? Thanks again
It’s not that hard, but it can get tricky when you try to align the thermocouple to the valve. You may have to remove a bunch of 1/4” hex head screws just to access the pilot assembly. Do yourself a favor & take a pick of each item you remove, & stage them in a safe location, in the order that you removed them. The assembly itself is generally secured with 2 screws. In order to remove it from the firebox, you’ll need to disconnect the thermopile, thermocouple & the pilot tube from the gas valve. Try to keep the grommets below the pilot assembly from getting damaged, as well. They are used to seal the firebox & contain the byproducts of combustion in there. Good luck!