These are the times.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Definitely getting a lot of practice these cold days.

Reactions: Rangerbait
when you learn how to drive your stove, load your splits and haul your ashes in the most efficient manner.

Definitely Playoff time for wood heaters

Burn,burn, burn

That’s the truth...I was wondering why my new BK King wasn’t putting out as much heat as I thought it would once the temps dropped and I needed to really push it. Turned out, it was putting out enough heat to peg the thermostat, so I turned on the back fans and it turned into a nuclear reactor! The fans blow enough of the heat away from the stove to keep the thermostat calling for max air, resulting in a ridiculous amount of heat pumping into the house. Awesome!

Yes the old Aurora has been chugging along nicely, very hot but well within the safe range. I had the door open for a bit, checking on the bushing that the door handle closes on to, as the stove gets hotter and expands the handle doesn't spin the bushing as much it sort of glides over it, so I was checking that out and found out this is NOT the time to play around with it as the section of my right forearm that the stove glove doesn't cover was turning red lol!!!!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
That’s the truth...I was wondering why my new BK King wasn’t putting out as much heat as I thought it would once the temps dropped and I needed to really push it. Turned out, it was putting out enough heat to peg the thermostat, so I turned on the back fans and it turned into a nuclear reactor! The fans blow enough of the heat away from the stove to keep the thermostat calling for max air, resulting in a ridiculous amount of heat pumping into the house. Awesome!
That's cool but I would want a stove that puts out the heat when there is a power outage and the fans don't work.

Reactions: Rangerbait
I for one could use a break from the tedious unloading of coals and stuffing with wood. Hell, I'd take a 25 degree day for a change.

I hear you...will definitely have to research a hack for that issue.
I don't know your heat demand situation but a small generator and a cord is all you would need...I run a Princess with a fan kit on it...I don't run the fan much at all...even in these record cold temps with -33 windchill it keeps the house around 70 after a overnight burn with out the fans...my world won't end with out them...I need to install a Generac stand by....

I have the best of both worlds. The outdoor Heatmor chugs along keeping me in hot water and warm garage and when it is cold I supplement with the PE Spectrum in the basement when I am home. That thing keeps the basement 72° and the upstairs maintains 68 with very little help from the outdoor furnace even on the below zero highs we have been having. I mainly have the stove for ambiance and backup if the power goes out, but find myself using it a lot when cold. It uses less wood, saves electricity, reduces the times I have to fill the outdoor furnace plus gives me some thing to do on cold days.

Reactions: D8Chumley