Things to look for when buying a wood burning insert - advise needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoe99

Jan 23, 2009
Rockland County, NY
I thought I would post it as a separate question from my other post just below. What are the things you wish you paid more attention when you bought you insert ?
So far I see that the insert must have the blowers (do they even come without the electric fans?), needs to be "cold air glass clean" or something like that so the glass door do not get black i no time, also someone mentioned about going with a gloss black enamel finish as oppose to a black mate (saving few $$$) since the gloss finish insert is easy to clean and it looks like new again.

Again, my fire box is 28 x 47,a nd I am looking to supplement my baseboard heating with the insert.

Any brands to stay away from ?

Thanks all

Make sure blowers are mounted on front of insert and have easy access. You will want to clean them regularly to keep them working longer. If mounted on back or side behind surround you may have to pull insert out every time to clean......

Agree about blower placement - especially if you have pets (1 Samoyed Shepard mix and 1 border collie here). If you have the hearth/floor space, consider an insert that is exposed into the room to take advantage of more radiant heat. Read lots of manuals, and look at the stated hearth requirements - some are different than others concerning thermal resistance of the materials and distances. I got a surprise with my Kennebec on the hearth R values - 2.92 is a lot when I wanted a flush hearth.

Is your "firebox" in a masonry chimney? Also consider a freestanding stove that will fit partially inside or in front of the fireplace. (You probably have options beyond an insert.) Check the manufacturer's websites of the brands mentioned here for dimensions of their units.

As to answers of your original concerns I know my glass is much easier to clean when it is cold, but with good airwash systems you are only cleaing a "smokey film" off the glass, not blackened soot. Finishes make little difference as far as I know - beyond aesthetics - which can be important.

MarkG

I looked for the biggest firebox, front extending into the room, warranty, and burn times/btu's for the size, that could fit.

I wasn't into fancy doors, etc, I wanted a work horse ( :) ) that would get the job done.

Just my 2 cents :)

Also try to find one with a baffle that can be easily removed while cleaning the chimney.
Otherwise you might end up pulling the insert every time you sweep the chimney.
Also try to get the biggest one that'll fit your fireplace opening.

Hope this helps.

The stove size should be based upon the size of the area you wish to heat, taking into account how well or poorly your home is insulated.

I have a Lopi Revere which I am happy with. I would not want a smaller firebox in regard to loading wood. One purchase decision was that it came out into the room about 10" with a flat stove top which permits a steamer or cooking if the power is out.

I considered a Blaze King Princes seriously because it is catalytic and has long burn times. I was a bit concerned with the fact that the ceramic catalytic unit can be damaged by burning damp wood, etc.

Make sure that the flue connection on the top of the stove is set back far enough to clear the top part of the fireplace opening.

What I did was call the local dealers to find out what they sell. Then using the web made an excel spreadsheet with all the specs. As you look at different stoves you will see what some stoves have and others don't. I looked for BTU/Sq ft it heats, firebox size, log size, blower and waranty. And obsiously making sure it fits in the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.