Thinking of upgrading my stove...vent question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mixpat

Dec 10, 2013
Bedford, New Hampshire
Greetings everyone. I have a Timberwolf TPS35 (quite a nice budget stove, btw). I'm thinking of upgrading and have a question...

I did a corner install, through the wall...with standard Duravent 3" piping...45 degree angle straight out the house with a cleanout T on the outside. The Timberwolf's exhaust height is 17" to center. Some of the stoves I'm looking at, the exhaust is quite a bit lower. Example, a Quad CB1200 exhaust is 8-1/16" to center. My question is how do I get the exhaust up to the existing hole I punched in the side of my house? I would hate to have to patch the current hole and cut a new one. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks.

You can use some flex pipe, but your clearance will be different than the pellet vent. Depending on the distance from the exhaust on the stove and the the wall you could use a couple of pellet vent 45° and an adjustable length of pellet pipe! No sense even sweating over this until you put the stove where you think you want it! Trust me this will drive you nuts trying to figure this out in your head!

I had the same issue when I replaced my Vista Flame with a Harman. Just move the stove to the left or right to adjust for the height difference. It's always good when your new stoves outlet is lower than you current one as you can always make something work. Other way around not so much. 20141012_184428.jpg

I had the same issue when I replaced my Vista Flame with a Harman. Just move the stove to the left or right to adjust for the height difference. It's always good when your new stoves outlet is lower than you current one as you can always make something work. Other way around not so much. View attachment 141025

The house side of the thimble isn't supposed to have silicone on it. Sorry for the nit-pickery!

The photo isn't the best. Theres a good 8+ inches from the end of the t to the floor. I sealed the room side of the thimble just aggravate everyone here:). I did seal the room side to keep any drafts out as it was still drafty despite sealing the outside. Old house.

Reactions: Jason845845
The photo isn't the best. Theres a good 8+ inches from the end of the t to the floor. I sealed the room side of the thimble just aggravate everyone here:). I did seal the room side to keep any drafts out as it was still drafty despite sealing the outside. Old house.
It's funny, I used clear silicone on my piping and yours still looks better.

Reactions: Tim Linden
Stumbled across a used Quad Mt. Vernon at a GREAT price. Looks like exhaust exit on the Quad is 19". My existing hole in wall is 17". I suspect this won't work for me in existing setup because of lack of draft??

Draft has nothing to do with it. These stoves vent with positive pressure from the combustion blower. You can always go up with the pipe if your stoves outlet is lower than the hole in the wall. Going down will be a challenge without making it look weird or kludged together. Look for a stove that has an exhaust height that is the same or lower than your thimble.

Im going to bump this thread as i will be in the same situation next summer. Corner install, thimble is at 16". Most quadrafire and Harman stove vents are around 8" to 10". I was thinking about a platform, but that would look silly. Any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.