This is what happens when you do not clean a stove for 6+ years.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad stove owner...bad. :shut:

IMG_20101001_145413.jpg

IMG_20101001_153041.jpg

Austroflamm integra?? Thats what mine looked like when I got it for free, because it wouldn't "work" any more.

Yup. $1600 bucks and it will be good as new. I tried to sell them a new stove....but no, they want me to restore this one. Ok.... Not a bad stove. I think it's worth it. Ah, and before the flames start....(no pun intended), that 1600 includes a new chimney liner and a few connection pipes.

I've never seen that black sticky looking stuff anywhere in my stove.
Do clean it regularly and always have but still, never had anything
except ash build up in mine. You musta been black up to your earlobes
messin with that thing.

Only black stuff i've seen is behind the firebrick, my exhaust fan just ash, and i burn on very low 90% of the time, surprised the exhaust wasn't clogged and the pressure switch tripped, but i guess if i just had a straight pipe to the outside with no T it would burn for years.
$1600 to repair and install a liner?...nice

smwilliamson said:
Yup. $1600 bucks and it will be good as new. I tried to sell them a new stove....but no, they want me to restore this one. Ok.... Not a bad stove. I think it's worth it. Ah, and before the flames start....(no pun intended), that 1600 includes a new chimney liner and a few connection pipes.
why did they decide to have the stove cleaned? was it malfunctioning, smoking....?

You have to clean these things? they never said that when we got it. Glad mine dont look like.

magsf11 said:
You have to clean these things? they never said that when we got it. Glad mine dont look like.

yup, its definitely the dealer's fault!

I dont envy you having to clean that mess up. Its disgusting looking to say the least, and Im surprised the stove ran for 6 years without cleaning it. I keep mine looking like new inside and out, after all I invested almost $4000 into the thing I figure the least I can do is keep it as clean looking as possible and hope it will last for the next 10 plus years.

Did you rub his nose in it and tell him "NO!"??

summit said:
Did you rub his nose in it and tell him "NO!"??

It's actually a young couple that bought the house and it was already there. It's an Austroflamm shich is reasonably good shape despite the obvious. I thinks it's worth cleaning up. Naw, I didn't make them feel bad. they are nice and I'll get them all fixed up.

If it wouldn't work after 6 years, guess you could just clean it every 5 years, and you'd be fine.

It looks more like a oil burner than a pellet stove to me. I worked in a dealership that had an oil burner and it was NEVER that dirty any time I cleaned it and it burned some pretty nasty oil. I thought it sucked... it didn't hold a candle to this pellet burner. WOW

It's very good to see Scott posting pictures and his experiences in the field, sharing with the group so we all learn.....good job and thanks Scott....

This sort of mess is not all that uncommon though.

Last winter I bought a Whitfield that some folks had. The thing looked just about like the piccy posted above.

The ash traps were full clear to the top and the stove would not even sustain a fire.

The type of people that tend a stove like this do the same with their car too.

One nice thing though, usually unless there has been other issues, a good cleaning and the little stove will go right back to work.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.