This is why I don't sell firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/for/2689108553.html

FIREWOOD FULL CORDS - $125 (Manchester - Saline - Bridgewater)

Date: 2011-11-06,10:00PM EST Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]

FULL CORD OF FIREWOOD

THATS 3 FACE CORDS !!!

COVERED / DRY MIXED HARDWOODS

LOCATED BETWEEN SALINE AND MANCHESTER ON AUSTIN RD

Thinking about taking a look. If it's good stuff, at that price it's almost not worth the effort to cut my own. Not that I really need it.

I paid that for 2 cords of 'next years' wood a few days ago. Out of curiousity I asked the seller if the wood would be good for this year. 'Nah' he said...got an honest one here. I like that.

Still stacking it though. The wood was cut to various lenghts, so I need to pick thru the pile to get the longer ones first.
Most of the splits are thicker than I like ( or my insert likes), so I need to resplit. Thats the trouble with buying wood I guess. Its a bit of work, but I dont mind. As mentioned on another thread, no need for a gym membership.

$125 and DRY would be awesome.

Dunno about where you live, but around here an actual cord of actual seasoned hardwood is going to run you $225 MINIMUM. Closer to $300 is more prevalent. Cut this fall and split the day they dump it in the wrong spot in your driveway, you're looking at $200 per "cord".

Around here it goes for $65-85 for a 'face' cord, delivered. NOBODY sells wood by the cord. That's the first CL ad I've seen here for a cord, except for one selling log length for $150.

jeff_t said:
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/for/2689108553.html

FIREWOOD FULL CORDS - $125 (Manchester - Saline - Bridgewater)

Date: 2011-11-06,10:00PM EST Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]

FULL CORD OF FIREWOOD

THATS 3 FACE CORDS !!!

COVERED / DRY MIXED HARDWOODS

LOCATED BETWEEN SALINE AND MANCHESTER ON AUSTIN RD

Thinking about taking a look. If it's good stuff, at that price it's almost not worth the effort to cut my own. Not that I really need it.

Land clearing. By myself if the location close I can do 3/4 of a cord with one loader in a couple hours and maybe 3 gallons of fuel. Thats still 50.00 bucks and hour saved. I would have couple hours loading and unloading that cord. Still a great deal!

The part about dry, mixed hardwoods is what I would not trust. Why not state exactly what the wood is?

Backwoods Savage said:
The part about dry, mixed hardwoods is what I would not trust. Why not state exactly what the wood is?

I don't see a problem with that, just not sorted is all, its a bit of everything, oak/maple/ash/cherry etc. that's how they sell it around me. My problem with the ad is the volume and being burn ready, cant get a real cord around her and to dream of it being ready to burn is farfetched.

ChrisNJ said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I don't see a problem with that, just not sorted is all, its a bit of everything, oak/maple/ash/cherry etc. that's how they sell it around me. My problem with the ad is the volume and being burn ready, cant get a real cord around her and to dream of it being ready to burn is farfetched.

Along with oak/maple/ash/cherry etc. there may be cottonwood, willow, popple etc. So I could sell a cord of wood that had say 75% cottonwood and popple, then mix in a few oak or maple or ash or cherry and could still say it is all hardwood. However, there is a tremendous difference in those hardwoods. Or, one fellow could buy oak and maple for hardwood and the other one could buy willow and alder. Both would be getting hardwoods. Yes, it pays to know what hardwoods one is buying.

Popple = Poplar?

Is that even considered a hardwood?

Backwoods Savage said:
ChrisNJ said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Along with oak/maple/ash/cherry etc. there may be cottonwood, willow, popple etc. So I could sell a cord of wood that had say 75% cottonwood and popple, then mix in a few oak or maple or ash or cherry and could still say it is all hardwood. However, there is a tremendous difference in those hardwoods. Or, one fellow could buy oak and maple for hardwood and the other one could buy willow and alder. Both would be getting hardwoods. Yes, it pays to know what hardwoods one is buying.

They say mixed around here too Dennis and Ive never come across anyone that throws in any of the lesser hardwoods, its usually maple, oak, birch, cherry and ash. No one throws popple in or they wouldnt be in business too long.
Theres a guy selling cords here for $135 green, hes been cleaning the tornado mess from June and he uses a processor. I called him to buy some wood but hes been a month behind. Ive checked out his wood from people I know that bought from him and its all good hardwood and a full cord. Im going to try and get some to get way ahead the easy way, for that price you cant go wrong.

Don't understand why a man can't go out and cut some wood and sell it for a cheap price like u posted..when I used to buy firewood..I bought it for 150.00 1 1/2 cords worth...nice hardwood to..like a bunch of us here he was out enjoying what he was doing and making some extra cash out of it..I can usually always scrounge the money up to buy my firewood..but there's a lot more fun in scrounging my firewood

mayhem said:
Popple = Poplar?

Is that even considered a hardwood?

Yes. If a tree has leaf and they fall in the fall, it is technically a hardwood tree.

Fod01 said:
I paid that for 2 cords of 'next years' wood a few days ago. Out of curiousity I asked the seller if the wood would be good for this year. 'Nah' he said...got an honest one here. I like that.

Still stacking it though. The wood was cut to various lenghts, so I need to pick thru the pile to get the longer ones first.
Most of the splits are thicker than I like ( or my insert likes), so I need to resplit. Thats the trouble with buying wood I guess. Its a bit of work, but I dont mind. As mentioned on another thread, no need for a gym membership.

$125 and DRY would be awesome.

I live on LI. I'd like to get that guys #.
back after Irene I paid $200 for wood that the guy swore was seasoned.
I asked for 24" splits cause my gassier takes 26"
"oh yeah got some real nice 24" stuff for ya"
this is what I got.

At least he stacked it for me!

Live and learn!
1002939x.jpg

That is right near where I grew up. I live about 30 miles from there now.

"Supply & demand";; "Buyer beware" "You get what you pay for"
Are a few sayings that come to mind when reading this post.
Every area is different. Here it's $250 to $300 for a load of birch/spruce mix. Never say how much % of each in the mix though. Then some add delivery charges, stacking charges.
Seasoned is a relative term, moisture content would be a better measure. Have yet to see sellers with rows & rows of wood stacked up drying, usually a big haystack piles with a conveyor belt feeding it. The stuff in the middle not very dry but it was stacked & seasoned.(just not to our specs)
A few have just got state commercial permits & are cutting (live trees), now to a month ago, for this years wood to sell.
If you are buying wood, Buy now for next year, if it is dry wood, it will be even better next season.
Me, I have fun cutting wood, good outdoor work, enjoy the whole process (but I'm weird, work is fun).
I cut mostly birch when I can. Fun work that pays me back. Can't beat that IMO. ( + no taxes on it """"yet""") :)

bogydave said:
"Supply & demand";; "Buyer beware" "You get what you pay for"
Are a few sayings that come to mind when reading this post.
Every area is different. Here it's $250 to $300 for a load of birch/spruce mix. Never say how much % of each in the mix though. Then some add delivery charges, stacking charges.
Seasoned is a relative term, moisture content would be a better measure. Have yet to see sellers with rows & rows of wood stacked up drying, usually a big haystack piles with a conveyor belt feeding it. The stuff in the middle not very dry but it was stacked & seasoned.(just not to our specs)
A few have just got state commercial permits & are cutting (live trees), now to a month ago, for this years wood to sell.
If you are buying wood, Buy now for next year, if it is dry wood, it will be even better next season.
Me, I have fun cutting wood, good outdoor work, enjoy the whole process (but I'm weird, work is fun).
I cut mostly birch when I can. Fun work that pays me back. Can't beat that IMO. ( + no taxes on it """"yet""") :)

This is my first year burning so I bought what I thought I would need for this winter.
But I plan on not buying anything, anyway (unless the price is way to good like $125 for 2 cord). I have two friends in the tree cutting business.
They both will give me full logs for free. One of them gave me his splitter with the log lifter.He says he cant make money processing firewood. So the machine was just sitting in his yard.
Now its in my yard :cheese:
I already have 6 cord c/s/s and 2 cord in rounds waiting :bug:

I too actually like cutting and splitting. I'm outdoor guy anyway. Cant stand be inside to long. Been framing houses for 28 years.
So swinging a hammer or wielding a circular saw is not much different from swinging a maul and whippin a chainsaw around.

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile. :)

just seen a local ad up here - 100 face cord hard maple - $8200. or will sell for $85.00 a f/c picked up.

weatherguy said:
Backwoods Savage said:
ChrisNJ said:
Backwoods Savage said:

They say mixed around here too Dennis and Ive never come across anyone that throws in any of the lesser hardwoods, its usually maple, oak, birch, cherry and ash. No one throws popple in or they wouldnt be in business too long.
Theres a guy selling cords here for $135 green, hes been cleaning the tornado mess from June and he uses a processor. I called him to buy some wood but hes been a month behind. Ive checked out his wood from people I know that bought from him and its all good hardwood and a full cord. Im going to try and get some to get way ahead the easy way, for that price you cant go wrong.

Got a number for this guy selling wood?

treehackers said:
weatherguy said:
Backwoods Savage said:
ChrisNJ said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Got a number for this guy selling wood?

Tree, check your pm

Backwoods Savage said:
ChrisNJ said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Indeed they do, the first couple years that I bought wood, I was astonished by how light weight some of the spilts were, although it was a significant amount of the short cords I was buying at the time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.