Wonder why people are trying to ban woodburning???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
Found this ad this morning on craigslist. Its no wonder people are fighting against OWB's and wood burning in general. What an idiot.

Firewood for Outdoor Furnaces - $50 (Wooster, OH)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-09-23, 3:35PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Sale Firewood for Outdoor Furnaces, etc. Treated Hardwood Railroad Crossties.
Splits, Chunks and Whole Ties.

$50.00 Pickup Truck Load
U-Pick, U-Load, U-Haul

The first ever outdoor wood burning furnace I laid eyes on was built by our local welder/inventor.

It was actually a forced air unit set up specifically to burn railway ties.

He saved his "good" firewood, that is poplar and box elder, for the smaller version he built to heat his house.

I can't recall how the neighbours in our small town responded to the smoke from the ties but I do know that the welding shop had no problem recruiting staff because they had the warmest shop within 100 miles.

Should be a law against that. But how could it be enforced? Can't control what people throw into their stoves.

We don't need more laws. We need more education on the subject of wood burning in general.

Cheers

We don’t need more laws. We need more education on the subject of wood burning in general.

Excellent point Ash. Just like we do not need more laws about a lot of issues. Just better educated people on whatever given subject it may be.

I'd hate to have a neighbor burn garbage like that. I really don't know how someone could detect it, unless the ties were seen around the unit. I have heard of people getting fines for burning plastics around here. I've never seen it personally but don't doubt it. Some folks have very thick skulls and it's difficult or impossible to change their old ways.

We have a guy in this area who runs around to all the chip stands and restaurants getting their used frier oil and throwing it in his OWB. fortunately, he lives in a rural area with virtually no one else close by. As Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid"

Gasifier said:
We don’t need more laws. We need more education on the subject of wood burning in general.

Excellent point Ash. Just like we do not need more laws about a lot of issues. Just better educated people on whatever given subject it may be.

That might be so, were people to behave responsibly, and be receptive to education. Sadly, many are not. Those are the people that give rise to legal codes.

And that's a good reason for the existence of prisons. Or are you a radical libertarian on that too?

Years ago when times were really tough I heard it was quite common for people to pinch railway ties from our local creosote plant to burn at home for heat. I was also you could tell who was burning them by the black ash on the snow around their houses. It really pales in comparison to what I have heard is being burnt in OWB's in our area.

I am a redneck, and no big fan of the environment or mother nature.

One time me and a buddy may or may not have been drinking a lot of beer around a camp fire when we thought it's be a good idea to throw a hunk of creosote treated power pole into the fire. Even with beer induced judgement limitations after about 5 minutes the smell and the smoke were so terrible we kicked it off the fire.

True story.

CTYank said:
Gasifier said:

That might be so, were people to behave responsibly, and be receptive to education. Sadly, many are not. Those are the people that give rise to legal codes.

And that's a good reason for the existence of prisons. Or are you a radical libertarian on that too?

98% of the laws are put into place for 2% of the population

Ash_403 said:
We don't need more laws. We need more education on the subject of wood burning in general.

Cheers

That and a little persuasive smack with a medium-sized split. Anyone burning toxic materials in a woodburner is already violating the law and common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.