Thought Experiment: What Happens When Insulated Pipe Installed Through Unheated Attic?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Would snow melt, creating ice dams?
What would be the best way to install in a single story house?

My limited experience so far says no..... but I have a well insulated, well sealed, properly vented "attic" space.

I have an insulated chimney pipe going through the space in my scissors trusses, surrounded by a cathedral ceiling box and the special Selkirk insulation between the box and the pipe. So far, all I've seen is the snow eventually melts immediately around the chimney penetration, but it's slow, and stops there.....not enough to cause any damming so far.

Reactions: velvetfoot
Its not an issue on a house with adequate soffit, proper vents, ridge/gable end vents and ice and water shield under the roofing from the edge of the roof a minimum of 2' above the roof overhang. There is some radiant/conductive heat transmission from the pipe that can melt the snow around the pipe but rarely is an issue.

Well, the larger the temperature difference between 2 objects, the more heat will transfer. So heat is going to leave the pipe all along its length. The shorter the distance, straight up, the less chance the heat has to escape into the attic through the pipe.

So vent it straight up.