thought I knew what I was going to buy...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sailor61

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 28, 2006
Warwick, RI
During the entire rebuilding process with the house I have said I was putting in soapstone this time around. Actually went ahead and put in a reservation for a Woodstock Fireview - now I'm not so sure. This past weekend I stopped at Preston Trading Post to just take a look and be certain of what I'm doing. They had only truly great things to say about Woodstock in terms of stove quality, customer service etc. BUT they are cat stoves and close to a thousand bucks more than the alternatives.

It's not the cat issue - though I am beginning to question why I would be adding a maintenance item if there are other options - it's more the issue of parting with an additional thousand dollars that has me slowing down. Looked at the Morsos and the Jotuls, should have looked more closely at the Quads I guess and need to head back to the local VC dealer.......

What I will be heating is roughly a 1000 sq ft near the Bay in RI. House is framed in 2 by 4 walls with a combination of 2 by 6, 2 by 8 and 4 by 6 framed roof line. It will be insulated with open cel foam. There is a decent amount of glass - roughly 25% of the wall area. All of the windows and skylights are brand new thermal , low e, argon gas etc.

The stove is located in the main living room area of the house so appearance is a major concern. Will say that the Morso 2110 was VERY interesting as well as teh slightly smaller one they have with the soapstone sides - that seemed a bit on the small side. My major concerns are ; heating efficiency, burn time, appearance and rear clearance. The room is rather narrow and I would like to stay near the wall if possible. Must burn cord wood. I am open to suggestions .........

You may want to consider the Napoloean Steel stove line.
They have very tight clearances to combustables, take
cord wood sizes, efficient burns, available in porcelain finishes,
and are very resonably priced. Also, they are rather well rated
by users....

Rob

I think you should stay with the original decision. Amortized over the life of that stove a grand isn't much per year. And cat stoves are wonderfully efficient in wood usage. I think you chose the best of both worlds stove material and combustion efficiency wise.

And I don't own one either a cat stove or a soapstove stove. If one would have fit my application I would own a soapstone cat stove.

Sailor,

I understand your delema. For quite some time I have been looking to purchase a Woodstock Fireveiw. A few weeks ago I was certain it was the stove for me. Woodstock has a flawless reputation, their stoves are beautiful, long burning and efficient. Everyone that owns one raves and gushes about their stove. While the Woodstock stoves are very exspensive, I can see the value. I`m the type that will save up until I can afford the best product available. The cost is not a factor in the purchase, it only affects when I can purchase the stove.

But..............................................I kept researching other stoves. And I kept assesing my wood stove needs. My living room is small 12 x 20' . A wood stove wood take up valuable realestate there. The heat produced would be to much when sitting on our couch if we wanted to warm the rest of the house.

No matter how careful I am I know I would make a small mess from time to time loading , cleaning etc. My wife is very, very fussy about messes. If one spider were to wake up and scurry from a piece of firewood, my significant other would blow a gasket. In time, a wood stove in our living area would become an item of conflict, rather than a source of enjoyment . I am messy by nature and I have to work at not leaving a trail of debri in my wake. I also know what battles I cannot win. So the basement is a better location.

Our basement is 30 x 30' . There is an unused flue right next to the return on our forced air furnace. I can put a wood stove right next to the furnace and use it to distribute the warm air throughout the house. We have a walkout basement door so wood and mess will never have to come through the living area of the house.

Catalytic convertors.......they work, but some stoves work just as well without a catilytic convertor. I don`t want to mess around with one if I don`t have to . I like to keep it simple. As with automobiles I feel catilytic convertors are a band-aid fix for an engineering flaw. With modern fuel-injection and computer controlled ignnition timing catilytic convertors are often unecessary even though they are required by law. If a wood stove is properly engineered it does not need a catilytic convertor either.

Since I have decided to put the stove in the basement, I don`t really need a showpiece. I just need a stove that performs. I need a work horse not a prom queen.

I still think the Woodstock is an awesome stove, and an awesome company. Maybe I will have one if I move and my requirments change.

I ended up putting money down on a Napoleon 1400 pedistal wood stove. From what I have read the Napoleon will perform as good as the Woodstock. I only had to save for half as long to purchase this stove so thats a big plus. It will be here next week instead of next year. That makes me happy.

Everyone has different needs , these are my needs and they could be much different than yours.

Your Milage May Vary
Glenn

glenng said:
Catalytic convertors.......they work, but some stoves work just as well without a catilytic convertor. I don`t want to mess around with one if I don`t have to . I like to keep it simple. As with automobiles I feel catilytic convertors are a band-aid fix for an engineering flaw. With modern fuel-injection and computer controlled ignnition timing catilytic convertors are often unecessary even though they are required by law. If a wood stove is properly engineered it does not need a catilytic convertor either.
Glenn

Comments like this drive me nuts and why I am spending less and less time on this board.

Glenn, you are certainly not an engineer, if you are making statements like this.

Woodstock engineers it stoves to use a cat. They work for those who understand the benefits. Go educate yourself before you respond with more drivel.

Its fine to have an opinion, but when you present them as some engineering fact, you are simply being ignorant.

There is an unused flue right next to the return on our forced air furnace. I can put a wood stove right next to the furnace and use it to distribute the warm air throughout the house. We have a walkout basement door so wood and mess will never have to come through the living area of the house.

What's wrong this the above statement? Code wise a wood stove cannot be within 10' of a return. Then there is the codes dealing with proximity of two burning appliances vying for the same combustion air. placing a return from your basement will ruin the balanced distyrobution system Air will follow the path of resistance and shortstop the entire return system.
This inturn will have a negative effect on the system and cause rooms at the furthest part of the zone not to heat up It will create a negative effect system wide Plus it isn't going to work If returns are located correctly they return cold air since they draw air back to the furnace how does this dirtrobute heat?. Many have tried this with little or no sucess then there is the safety factors you just compromised your entire hvac system should your burner of stove smoke back draft Co you provided an expressway to spread the dedly gasses to your living space same goes if you have a fire in the basement. Another code issue Return air cannot be drawn from a basement unslee that is part of the living space..

Let me paint the picture correctly two fuel burning appliances in close proxmity and a reture drawing what little combustion air there is away cchances are it will backdraft either appliance and spread co's to the living space... One has ask is this an engineering marvel. Distuption of entire balanced system Safety thrown out the window I glad you posted here before doing something really stupid many here can advise a much safer installation. Whow!!!

Catalytic convertors.......they work, but some stoves work just as well without a catilytic convertor. I don`t want to mess around with one if I don`t have to . I like to keep it simple.

With 10 minutes aditional cleaning which should be done with every stove cleaning the secondary combustion chamber. Tell me the extra one has to mess around with.
the mechanical proceedure activating the cat to secondary combustion is the same opperation of closing the damper as all secondary burn modern stoves.

Am I missing something here I should be messing around with? I have two Cat stoves. Like any stove operations if one know how to opperate it things function as they should
If an idiot is at the controls Cat or non cat will make little difference things will not be run correctly

Example of the bother My Intrepid II has a cat which cost $60 witha 7 year warranty that amounts to less that $9 per year I remove two plillips head screws remove the rear plate and vact it out and replace it total time involved 3 minutes That cat burns cleaner and longer crucial for the smaller firebox Intrepid II. What's the bother I must be missing something?

sailor61 said:
The stove is located in the main living room area of the house so appearance is a major concern. Will say that the Morso 2110 was VERY interesting as well as teh slightly smaller one they have with the soapstone sides - that seemed a bit on the small side..........

I'll say, if it's the right size for your needs, that the 2110 is an absolute pleasure to use.

My post was only to point the desicion making process concerning which stove to get not to stir the pot sorry .

Elki

Point well taken on Cats. Also thanks for the advice concerning my flawed return idea . My gas furnace is a 90+ type. Its combustion air comes in via pvc as does its outgoing exhaust. I also plan to use outside combustion air for the Napoleon. Back drafting should not be a problem unless I`m missing somthing. I appreciate your objectivity and advocation of saftey. I`m here for the education, Thanks

Sandor ,

After re-reading my post I see how opinionated I seem. In hind-sight I should have said "some manufacturers produce stoves without the use of a cat, that achieve long burn time high efficiancy and low emissions" And leave it at that.

After re-reading Sandor`s post it still comes across as insulting and arrogant. You had the option to take the high road. Politly point out my errors and educate me as Elki did but no....
And actually I am an Engineer. Aerospace/Mechanical to be exact. Not that that has anything to do with wood stoves.

Lets start over and help advise what is best we need more info flue size, are uyou heating Basement??? plenty discussions about that location and its limitations going on now

How can we help you?

the house is single story with an exterior masonary chimney - which will probably require a liner.
chimney was replaced during the rebuild process and for whatever reason the mason built it with 8 by 12 tile even though he was instructed to use the same size (8 by 8) that was there prior. it was completed before I saw it and the mortar was set - rather than requiring it be removed and replaced I took a credit against the balance of the project that should more than offset the cost of me putting in a SS liner system that mets the requirements of whatever stove I end up with. Won't even mention the thimble that got put in at eye level ......... I would think a liner would also allow me to safely fill that thimble and have one added for a rear draft at the right height - anyone have any thoughts on this?

Used ot have an older VC Vigilant that supplied 90 to 95% of the heat so I am looking for a primary heat source.

Wish I could post a pic of the floorplan - the stove can not be centrally located due to windows and dimensions. From the street it is located inthe right front corner so ceiling and balancing fans are important.

thanks for whatever suggestions, thoughts, ideas you come up with.

Tom

glenng said:
After re-reading Sandor`s post it still comes across as insulting and arrogant. You had the option to take the high road. Politly point out my errors and educate me as Elki did but no....
And actually I am an Engineer. Aerospace/Mechanical to be exact. Not that that has anything to do with wood stoves.

You want me to take the high road after you type out such an ignorant post? When you make statements like you did, you are opening yourself to peer review and scrutiny, and I replied.

If you want a less expensive stove that puts out heat, look at a Dutchwest and talk to TraderGordo.

If you want a high end non-cat stove, consider a PE and talk to Roospike.

If you want to consider a Woodstock, talk to Todd or NY Soapstone.

If you are considering an Englander, talk to BrotherBart.

If you want to do the most safe install of any brand or model, talk to Elk.

If you are considering anything else, ask a question about that model and others will reply.

Just don't spout a bunch of crap and expect to gain respect with such total nonsense.

Sorry if I was hard on you, but I will not back down from people posting false and misleading "information".

My only 2 cents on this one. I wanted a Woodstock Fireview, but ultimately went non-cat with a Hearthstone Heritage. Whether well informed or not, my decision was based on a few things.

1. Adding a cat just seemed like added work to me. The thought of replacing it every few years seemed like another large expense that I did not need.
Also the "non cat" crowd insisted that cats were just a quick fix to get around the EPA standards. I could not get a definitive answer on that one way or the other.

2. The Heritage was an easy free delivery to my door while the Woodstock was much further away and more expensive.

3. I still had my soapstone either way.

I'm happy with my final choice, although I'll admit I think the Fireview is just the prettiest stove out there. The only thing I regret is that I could have almost doubled my burn time with the cat stove. This fact I was unaware of until it was too late. That would have been a big plus for me.

Go with your gut on this one. It is a big purchase. You don't want to regret not getting what you really wanted.

Sandor said:
glenng said:

You want me to take the high road after you type out such an ignorant post? When you make statements like you did, you are opening yourself to peer review and scrutiny, and I replied.

If you want a less expensive stove that puts out heat, look at a Dutchwest and talk to TraderGordo.

If you want a high end non-cat stove, consider a PE and talk to Roospike.

If you want to consider a Woodstock, talk to Todd or NY Soapstone.

If you are considering an Englander, talk to BrotherBart.

If you want to do the most safe install of any brand or model, talk to Elk.

If you are considering anything else, ask a question about that model and others will reply.

Just don't spout a bunch of crap and expect to gain respect with such total nonsense.

Sorry if I was hard on you, but I will not back down from people posting false and misleading "information".

Sandor,

I too am a Mechanical and Aerospace engineer and while I knew the correct answer, I gotta agree with Glenng that you could have gone about it in a more diplomatic manner and still have won the argument .... instead you drive people away from the forum just because you disagree with what they said and labeling their input as "crap", "nonsense", "ignorant" and "false and misleading"................... "rise above the fray, Grasshopper or you too will be put under the microscope"....LOL

Yes, educate rather than denigrate. We all benefit.

The other way takes the fun out of the forum for me.

Thank you for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.