Thoughts on this stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
It has been a busy summer. Sold and bought a house. Settle on Thursday. House has a wood burning insert (didn't get the make. it is old and I will be posting pics soon to help id). The house also has a 21x17 added room with electric baseboard heaters. This room has a fireplace and since we want to make this the family room, I want to get a stove in there to avoid the price of using the electric. I came across this stove on craiglist and need some thoughts about it. I think it would heat the room just fine (room has an A frame ceiling). Would there be an issue to run a liner from the back up the chimney? Is this a good stove? I know older vermont castings are great, but what about the newer ones?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/1899139181.html

I really wish we could just bring the stove from the house we are selling as it would be perfect for the room, but that was one of the main things the people buying the house loved about it.

Good to be back at hearth.

If the stove will fit properly in the fireplace and if it can be done without kinking, the liner can be connected directly to the stove with an appliance connector.

As for the stove, one of my clients have one and they love it. It seems to burn pretty well for them in their setup.

Congrats on the house!

I wouldn't buy a used car without knowing the year and the mileage. Unless you can verify a little old lady burned this stove only on Sundays, I'd pass.

Looks like the stove has integrity. The fact that it's "used" doesn't scare me.......I'd just look it over closely for anything that might seem to be a structural or functional issue. Not a bad LOOKING stove.

I agree that the application is worth considering. If this is not large enough or too large, depending on the area you want to heat.

Price...........well, $700.00 is certainly better than a couple thousand dollars, but I'm curious why it's been owned and sold once even before HIM? Could just be that this stove just wasn't what was wanted, but it could ALSO indicate an issue that is yet unseen or unknown.

In terms of parts.....Looks like you might have to buy some additional piping components, but that's not a big deal, unless you don't want to have to do that. Are you planning on installing it yourself?

-Soupy1957

Good thoughts to consider about stove being structurally sound. I would obviously look over the stove very closely. I purchased the stove in my current house from craigslist with no issues. The guy ran into hard times and needed the money. I need to get a year on the stove. Keep you posted.

not the most efficient unit, but parts are mostly still avail for you should you need any.

summit said:
not the most efficient unit, but parts are mostly still avail for you should you need any.

This statement right here would lead me to not purchase this stove . . . and I'm not talking about the "not the most efficient unit" but rather parts are mostly still available . . .

The parts might be available but given the VC doubling of parts prices a couple of years ago I would be careful.

Find out what a few of the wear items would cost to replace.

That's an early 80's Resolute. Wood n coal unit. Coal parts a pretty much not avail. For sure no brown enamel parts are made anymore for it, there may be some close, but that shade of brown was discontinued over 20 years ago. Stove should receive a complete rebuild every eight years, it probably has not.
In its day it was a great stove, not so much today. My shop sells tons of VC parts, not many around for that stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.