Three questions I can't find answers for: Englander 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello,
I'm leaning towards an Englander 30NC for price, availability, etc., but I have two questions:

1. How long can the stove go between loads? My current stove needs to be loaded up every three hours.
2. Do I need the outside air kit? Most of the wall behind the stove is brick, so I would have to run an ugly hose (or whatever) to an adjacent wall, so I'd rather not.
3. The optional fan: is it just a plug-in with a switch, or is there some sort of thermostat?

Thanks!

SML

The only one of your questions I can answer is #2 unless mandated by code the O.A.K. is not needed.

Loaded with hardwood I get 8-9 hrs easy. With my particular house OAK wasnt needed but definately helpped draft. And lastly the blower is thermostatically controlled with the on temp being adjustable by the user I beleive. Good luck with the stove I have no complaints with mine.

Thanks for the answers! One last one: is the fan quiet?

SML

thinkxingu said:
Thanks for the answers! One last one: is the fan quiet?

SML

Fan is quiet!
No OAK used on my stove
I get 12 hours on big, seasoned ash logs(over night load). Average burn time 6 to 8 hrs

I would spend $19.99 and purchase a Dial-A-Temp.

thinkxingu said:
Hello,
I'm leaning towards an Englander 30NC for price, availability, etc., but I have two questions:

1. How long can the stove go between loads? My current stove needs to be loaded up every three hours.
2. Do I need the outside air kit? Most of the wall behind the stove is brick, so I would have to run an ugly hose (or whatever) to an adjacent wall, so I'd rather not.
3. The optional fan: is it just a plug-in with a switch, or is there some sort of thermostat?

Thanks!

SML

1. 4-5 hours with red maple.
2. Nope, unless your house is incredibly tight.
3. Mine's just a speed control/on-off (rheostat). I wish it was a thermostat.

Just say'en, ceiling fans are quiet and move tons of heat out of the room.

Our stove has a blower with a rheostat but we only used it about 3 times last winter when it was real cold...otherwise it just gets too hot. Thankfully the ceiling fan moves the heat to the farther corners of the house. Of course the TV is in the same room as the stove if your stove is in a remote room that you're not in all the time absolutely get a blower fan....otherwise save your dough. I'm in the minority here but as far as I'm concerned they're a big pita.

Status
Not open for further replies.