Through wall chimney and vinyl siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDC1

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2010
NE Ohio
Does anyone have any pictures of how their vinyl siding is trimmed around the support bracket. We are going through the wall in the next few days and I am a siding rookie. I have a OSB wall now where the chimney will be and will be attaching right to the plywood. I will be building a chase later this coming spring but want to get the stove running first. Thanks for the help.

PS> Pictures are promised as soon as the remodel is complete.

I would make a nice pad for the bracket attachment. Prime and paint with good oil based paint, then attach to the the wall. If you can anchor to a stud, all the better. Then when you side, you can trim right up to the pad.

BeGreen said:
I would make a nice pad for the bracket attachment. Prime and paint with good oil based paint, then attach to the the wall. If you can anchor to a stud, all the better. Then when you side, you can trim right up to the pad.

Great Idea. I never even thought about that. We are down to studs inside, with framing specifically for the through wall kit.

If you want to get even fancier, cover the pad with metal coil stock the same color as the siding or similar, then frame the pad with siding "J" channel around the entire pad, and run your siding into the J.
I myself would cover the pad on the face and bend it around so it wraps around all 4 sides also. Once you have you J channel on, you can run a nice small clean bead of similar colored caulk or clear silicone around the seam where the pad metal covered pad meets the J channel.

Good tip. I like a man with a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.