Thumbs up for the top down!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
Being fairly new to wood burning (beginning of season #2), I tried my first top down fire today. It worked great, no super cedar or fatwood needed.
Thanks to you folks on this site, I may never go back to the old way!

The top down fire is here to stay in our house. We picked that little trick up from reading this site. Works great in our little Encore.

One of the many nuggets of information I have learned here that I now practice regularly . . . and amaze folks with as they believe it is the dumbest thing ever . . . until I demonstrate it and it works like a charm.

Yep, us too--it just works better because you don't collapse the pile by trying to stack bigger stuff on top of smaller stuff. Plus, I can't even remember how many beers I've won in bets from friends who didn't think it would work...... :)

NP

Just tried my first one with out the help of a super cedar. Took a few minutes, but 15 minutes after lighting off I had a rolling fire going. Awesome!

I tired it as well and will never go back

I'm sorry, still stuck in my boy scout days of fire starting. Bottoms up!

I was the cheerleader for a while here for top down. And still love the smokeless fast take off. But after I finally broke down and tried Super Cedars I got out of the kindling business.

BrotherBart said:
I was the cheerleader for a while here for top down. And still love the smokeless fast take off. But after I finally broke down and tried Super Cedars I got out of the kindling business.

I get all the kindling I need from construction, never tried SC. I must be missing out on things, like I'm the odd one out

My Oslo heats my home said:
BrotherBart said:

I get all the kindling I need from construction, never tried SC. I must be missing out on things, like I'm the odd one out

I held out for years.

BrotherBart said:

I have a lot of slash to get rid of so starting the stoves with it helps me get rid of a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.