Timber Ridge 55-SHP10 Ash Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife is a little nervous about the stove running when we are sleeping, although I let it run last night all night. The weather has been fairly mild here lately, if the temps. take a nose dive, I may start running all night. With regards to softwood, I've tried Eastern Embers from Home Depot and Comfy Cozy from Kent and couldn't get any heat at all out of them. Now having said that since I changed my control board to mode "C" from "D" I seem to get a lot more heat from the softwood then I used to. Also, softwood pellets are more expensive here then the hardwood, except for Rona, and I just found that out a week ago, same price as Canadian Tire hard wood. The Canawick brand can be very ashy but they seem to burn slower and give more heat in my stove. That amount of build-up on your burn plate after a 15 hour burn would take less then 4 hours before I modified my burn plate. My stove has been running steady for 16 hours now with hardwood pellets and the amount of ash on my burn plate would probably fill an aspirin bottle. Also it's -1C outside and my house is 26C right now. Heat setting on my stove is at 4. My house is about 1700 sq/ft.

Every setup and stove burn different, I'm glad you found a setup that works best for you! I might actually try a modification to the pot like you've done. The only thing that concerns me is.,where the ash is going? I hope that it doesn't blow so hard that it ends up in the exhaust vent.

I should have taken a picture before I vacuumed out the chamber this morning. Tomorrow morning I'll take a pic. There was a big pile of ash down in what I call the ash bin. The bottom of the stove. I checked my flu and it was clean except for a trace amount of grey dust, so I don't suspect any fly ash is going out the flu. As I mentioned in my earlier posts, the burn plate I modified was one that I made myself so as not to do any permanent modifications to the stove in case this didn't work out. The plugs in the two air holes underneath the burn plate are easily removable as well.

As promised SKOAL MAN, here is a pic of my stove this morning after 24 hours of burning ashy hardwood pellets. As you can see there is a huge amount of ash below the burn pot. There is some ash on the burn plate but most of the holes are clear for good air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.