Tips and tricks for your fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most, but not all of the time we do have a small flame in the firebox even when set to zero. I've also noticed that when set low like that, after a time the firebox will get that nice rolling flame at the top of the firebox just like you get earlier.

Dr. Drew, I would highly advise you double check the draft control. I believe it was Todd who noticed that his came out of the groove and it affected how his operated. It is really easy to tell when it is in the groove properly and also easy to put it back in if necessary. I checked ours but it was fine but I can understand how it could possibly jump out during shipping.

Backwoods Savage said:
Most, but not all of the time we do have a small flame in the firebox even when set to zero. I've also noticed that when set low like that, after a time the firebox will get that nice rolling flame at the top of the firebox just like you get earlier.

Dr. Drew, I would highly advise you double check the draft control. I believe it was Todd who noticed that his came out of the groove and it affected how his operated. It is really easy to tell when it is in the groove properly and also easy to put it back in if necessary. I checked ours but it was fine but I can understand how it could possibly jump out during shipping.
Thanks I did it looks good

I just uploaded a video of our Fireview during a secondary burn, for your edification. It shows the "rolling flame" which I have taken to calling "the caterpillar" because the flame pattern seems to travel steadily from one side to the other. This was taken about an hour after reloading for the night, a full load of red oak, damper set at 0.5, stovetop temp at 550 degrees, stovepipe connector at 250 degrees (surface). Usually the firebox is totally dark at this time, I just happened to get up and notice this pattern. I was able to watch it produce "the caterpillar" steadily for 30 minutes, then I shot 2 minutes of video in a dark room and went back to bed. The cat was glowing brightly, of course.

Sorry for moments of unfocussed photography--I was falling asleep again!

hgm

Thanks that was a great video
tsalagi777 said:
I just uploaded a video of our Fireview during a secondary burn, for your edification. It shows the "rolling flame" which I have taken to calling "the caterpillar" because the flame pattern seems to travel steadily from one side to the other. This was taken about an hour after reloading for the night, a full load of red oak, damper set at 0.5, stovetop temp at 550 degrees, stovepipe connector at 250 degrees (surface). Usually the firebox is totally dark at this time, I just happened to get up and notice this pattern. I was able to watch it produce "the caterpillar" steadily for 30 minutes, then I shot 2 minutes of video in a dark room and went back to bed. The cat was glowing brightly, of course.

Sorry for moments of unfocussed photography--I was falling asleep again!

Thanks for posting that tsalagi777. I always look forward to that type of flame. It is different and beautiful.

The other night I turned my stove way down til everything went black in the fire box and after about 30 minutes I heard a big poof and looked over to see the fire box erupt into flame then settle down to a similar fire like that video. I think those floating flames originate from those holes in the airwash plate above the glass that supply secondary air to the cat. Sometimes when I turn it down that far I will get some smoke smell, so I usually leave some red in the fire box.

Todd said:
...after about 30 minutes I heard a big poof and looked over to see the fire box erupt into flame then settle down to a similar fire like that video.

I get that too! I think it is pretty cool when that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.